Monthly Folding Challenge - December 2010

Friendly design and folding competitions.
snowblue

Post by snowblue »

morning dew dripping from a leaf

use a rectangular paper
DadiK96

Post by DadiK96 »

Wow, beautiful =D>
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Very nice, Snowblue!

Looks like a simple box pleat to me.
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

with special greetings to gachepapier: a rainy night at mt. fuji

gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

grizzly man wrote:with special greetings to gachepapier: a rainy night at mt. fuji
8) :)
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
o0o007

Post by o0o007 »

Pyramid Sandstorm

Iwvi

Post by Iwvi »

"Cownado"

I wanted to make a funny cow flying in a tornado :D
dakota

Hello

Post by dakota »

HELLO, for this challenge, do you need to design your own project and is there a dead line.
KMH
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

Yes there is a time limit - I was up as long as I could keep awake past New Years in Chicago and here is my decision.

Art imitating Nature (environment) turned out to be an exceptionally difficult challenge. I congratulate all those who made the effort to try an entry. I can see great potential for new approaches to folding in each. For third place, it is a tie between:

Joshuaorigami - Earthquake
Donya - Normal Fault
Sam Meeuis - Earthquake
Iwvi - Lightning
Grizly Man - A Rainy Night
o0o007 - Pyramid Sandstorm

For the "Best Humor Award", I have to recognize Iwvi for Cownado - Now that is really a milk shake !

I think two models stood out in this challenge for their originality, especially in the way folding techniques were applied to result in an eye-catching display.

It almost came down to flipping a coin or choosing the one with the longest title. I wish I could award a tie for first, but someone has to be the judge for the next contest. So here goes.

In Second Place - Snowblue - "Morning Dew Dripping from a Leaf"
A great concept and execution - I would love to see this one with a color change with green and blue paper or perhaps green with silver backing and photographed on top of a mirror. I could almost see a snowflake drifting to an ice-crackled pond ? ? OK maybe that's asking too much.

In First Place - Gachepapier - "Here comes a Cold Sun over Mt. Fuji"
The combination of textures and color change made an exquisite visual display. I would be tempted to fold this one by keeping most of the view framed yet allowing the clouds to drift further (or extend further) over the edge - not even sure if this is possible.

I think the innovations these two models present are well worth further exploration !

For the Challenge for January I tried to come up with a theme that would allow a beginning designer a chance to come up with a design and yet would compel the accomplished origami designer to literally fold in a new direction. The idea is to fold an "Origami Silhouette" - make sure to read the rules and follow the examples. You can fold on almost any topic and you have a whole library of folding techniques to draw from. This might include a few simple valley folds to 3D curves formed out of Bezier pleats and intricate details.

Best of Luck in the New Year

Charles "Doc" Santee
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
Iwvi

Post by Iwvi »

Congratulations and Happy new year everyone!
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

firstfold wrote: In First Place - Gachepapier - "Here comes a Cold Sun over Mt. Fuji"
The combination of textures and color change made an exquisite visual display. I would be tempted to fold this one by keeping most of the view framed yet allowing the clouds to drift further (or extend further) over the edge - not even sure if this is possible.
I'm really thrilled about this \:D/ !!! Thank you !

Indeed, at the price of a little loss in efficiency, it would be rather easy to extend the clouds somewhat on either side. Actually, they could also come from a point coming from behind the mount and thus don't need to be on the border either, which was an option I'd considered.

Congratulations to all participants !
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

my congratulations, gachepapier! it's a well deserved first place for a beautiful folded scenery.