MC - Methyl Cellulose

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
dhouser

Re: MC - Methyl Cellulose

Post by dhouser »

Does anyone use this brand of MC?

http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-457-040-019

I've been using it on Unryu and it works OK, however the unryu does't turn out as crisp as I'd like. I am using a 20% MC to Water mixture (by volume).

The unryu turns out very shiny on one side, and matte on the other. Its crisper than pre-MC, however it still seems "tissuey".

Is this MC a good brand/type?
Dulcinea

Post by Dulcinea »

Does anyone know where I can buy MC in Canada?
I tried online but I couldn't find a store that ships to Canada. Thanks
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Try the next hardware store and ask for wallpaper paste in powder form. You might also get it in office stores or pharmacies, but usually the hardware store is the cheapest source.
0such

Post by 0such »

I ordered my MC online from this place in Toronto:

http://www.sculpturesupply.com
al-black

Post by al-black »

Hey Dulcinea,

Just an fyi, if you are looking in the hardware store for MC in canada, really take a look at the labels. It more common for other compounds to be used. And some are caustic.

The most widely available source of CMC in canada would be Elmers Art Paste (http://elmers.com/product/detail/99000), and it should in most nearby art stores and I'm pretty sure in Walmart. (Here's the msds for it: http://elmers.com/docs/default-source/m ... r&sfvrsn=0).

The Canadian online origami store has MC http://www.origamipapermonster.com/sear ... MC&x=0&y=0 .

I've also ordered some from the Paperwright: http://www.paperwright.ca/ <= this last one was a great experience!

All the best,

al
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

Yo people!
I have been thinking about making some MC so I was looking arround to find how to mix it.
as far as I know I should put 1tsp per 12oz of watter.
and I was looking arround to figure out how I should mix it and found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_ce ... ile_sizing , go down till you find the part about Solubility and temperature. It says to put the MC in hot watter, then let it cool, and then mix it. this makes it mix better forsome reason.

Can some one tell me if 1tsp for 12oz of watter is correct?
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

What surfaces do you all use for treating paper with MC? I've got my eye on a sheet of acrylic, since large sheets of glass are expensive, but I want to make sure it works before I buy it.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Baltorigamist wrote:What surfaces do you all use for treating paper with MC? I've got my eye on a sheet of acrylic, since large sheets of glass are expensive, but I want to make sure it works before I buy it.
I used Acrylic, works just fine.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I bought a piece of plexiglass. Alot cheaper and works fine
al-black

Post by al-black »

Hey OG;

Well in advanced origami Michael LaFosse recommends a 10% solution by volume, specifically 2 oz for 20 oz of water (pg. 20). (I put in 3 tbs for a litre of water, and adjust it a bit up or down.) LaFosse says it should have a consistency a bit lighter (thinner) than honey, others describe it as egg whites. That should give an idea of what you're shooting for.

My understanding is that mc is more soluble with cold water than warm. In either case, after you mix it up, let it sit for a day, and stir/adjust before using it.

Have fun with that!

al
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

I've been taking a different approach with MC. Instead of making a solution that can sit out for a day, I make a very concentrated solution (40%-50% MC). It is only good for about 15-20 minutes before it irreversibly turns into a gel (It still remains a gel if I adjust the temperature), but that is enough time to paint it onto a large sheet.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I occasionally do the same thing, foldtastic. Usually only if I need to get a model done for an event or something, or I just have an urge to fold. Letting it sit overnight still works better, though.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
al-black

Post by al-black »

Totally interesting.

These days I keep two tupperwares of MC, one a gel and one thinner that I mix on the go from the gel. That way I don't need to let it sit overnight.

If I'm really impulsive, I'll put a fan on low in front of the sheet as it dries. Paper usually good to fold in under an hour.
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

Alright, I made 10-1, 15-1 and 20-1 concentrations (by volume). Here are the results:

10-1 was completely gelled in under 12 hours.
15-1 phase seporated by the 12 hour mark. It was gel on the bottom and liquid on top. Eventually, around the 60 hour mark, the liquid portion also gelled
20-1 phase seporated by the 12 hour mark. It was gel on the bottom and liquid on top. It is now 72 hours after mixing, the liquid portion still persists but some of it has gelled
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

al-black wrote:Totally interesting.

These days I keep two tupperwares of MC, one a gel and one thinner that I mix on the go from the gel. That way I don't need to let it sit overnight.

If I'm really impulsive, I'll put a fan on low in front of the sheet as it dries. Paper usually good to fold in under an hour.
How do you mix a gel with a liquid? Are your gels pourable?