MC - Methyl Cellulose

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
al-black

Re: MC - Methyl Cellulose

Post by al-black »

Foldtastic wrote:
al-black wrote:Totally interesting.

These days I keep two tupperwares of MC, one a gel and one thinner that I mix on the go from the gel. That way I don't need to let it sit overnight.

If I'm really impulsive, I'll put a fan on low in front of the sheet as it dries. Paper usually good to fold in under an hour.
How do you mix a gel with a liquid? Are your gels pourable?
The thick gel has the consistency of thick honey or heinz catsup, and I pour it into the thinner tupperware and stir it with a stir stick for a minute or two. Then I add some water, stir again, and repeat it till I get the right viscosity, like egg whites. Takes a minute or two.

If your gel is to thick to pour, add some water, and mixer up. Having one of these will speed this last one up: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... lsrc=aw.ds

al
kex_er

Post by kex_er »

I've just bought first time MC http://www.henkel.pl/plp/content_data/3 ... l_PLHU.jpg and I've got some questions. I have it first time so i don't know a lot of thing about it :oops:

1.At first how to mix it with water? I mean what proportion. On the package is written something about 1:80 but isn't it too much?

2.How to store it? Can i put it for example in jar? I mean MC already mixed with water,gel. And should it be closed to allow air or strongly closed?

3.Is it important how to store powder, already opened original package. Should i keep it in dry or wet, cold or warm place? Can i keep it for example in a cupboard in 20 degrees Celsius?

I would be really grateful for response :roll:
My flickr

Sorry for my bad english
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Depends on what your doing with it. I usually just shake a little into a jar, shake it, and let it dissolve. Better to go too thick than too thin, you can always add more water later. I cover the top of the water with powder. The exact proportions are somewhere near the beginning of this thread, I think. Store it in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. Refrigerator works great.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
kex_er

Post by kex_er »

phillipcurl wrote:Depends on what your doing with it. I usually just shake a little into a jar, shake it, and let it dissolve. Better to go too thick than too thin, you can always add more water later. I cover the top of the water with powder. The exact proportions are somewhere near the beginning of this thread, I think. Store it in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. Refrigerator works great.
Ok, Thank you very much
My flickr

Sorry for my bad english
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

al-black wrote:
Foldtastic wrote:
al-black wrote:Totally interesting.

These days I keep two tupperwares of MC, one a gel and one thinner that I mix on the go from the gel. That way I don't need to let it sit overnight.

If I'm really impulsive, I'll put a fan on low in front of the sheet as it dries. Paper usually good to fold in under an hour.
How do you mix a gel with a liquid? Are your gels pourable?
The thick gel has the consistency of thick honey or heinz catsup, and I pour it into the thinner tupperware and stir it with a stir stick for a minute or two. Then I add some water, stir again, and repeat it till I get the right viscosity, like egg whites. Takes a minute or two.

If your gel is to thick to pour, add some water, and mixer up. Having one of these will speed this last one up: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... lsrc=aw.ds

al

Down to the least diluted strength I have tried (20-1) it eventually turns to a solidified gel structure like jello and will no longer accept more water. I'm going to try even lower concentrations.
al-black

Post by al-black »

Hi foldtastic,
Foldtastic wrote: Down to the least diluted strength I have tried (20-1) it eventually turns to a solidified gel structure like jello and will no longer accept more water. I'm going to try even lower concentrations.
Short version, 2.5 tablespoons of MC poured into 1 L of water is what works for me.

Long version, I mixed some batches up and took some photos etc, along with some previous posts that have great information. The idea is to answer a whole bunch of recurring questions.

But christmas has really slowed this down. All good.

al
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i'm finally getting around to using mc.

regarding clean-up--it's okay just to dilute it with lots of water and wash it down the sink, right? don't want to clog the drains.

i also tried applying a mixture of acrylic and mc to tant. i thought i had the consistency right, but the final one was about as thick as toothpaste. when i tried to apply it, the color didn't really saturate the paper at all. i assume it needs to be looser.
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

In my case i had used a plastic table. The surface is not absolutely regular it has small ups and downs. The result is a mulberry paper that is not shining....i dont know if happened with this paper or is paper's characteristic
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

bethnor wrote: i also tried applying a mixture of acrylic and mc to tant. i thought i had the consistency right, but the final one was about as thick as toothpaste. when i tried to apply it, the color didn't really saturate the paper at all. i assume it needs to be looser.
I've had the same problem re saturation. I've had better results in this regard using acrylic ink rather than acrylic paint. You still have to use much more than you'd think to get saturation on paper, but a lot less than with the paint. Still experimenting though.
diogot

Post by diogot »

Hi guys,
so I'm finishing satoshi's phoenix but I used a way too thin paper, (untreated) unryu, just like that and now I wanna make the details with the help of the MC glue. Can anyone pls tell me what dilution should I make?
Thank you!
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

1 table spoon in 0,5 L. Like white eggs
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

okay. at long last, i'm trying my hand at double tissue.

i'm using an acrylic sheet. i'm using the method whereby you treat the acrylic with mc, then put down one sheet, then treat that sheet, then put the next sheet over it. i find, though, that i couldn't get the wrinkles out of the first sheet without tearing it. any tips? i'm using tissue i bought from michael's, and i suspect it might be the "cheap" kind that tears too easy.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I'm no expert but I made a couple of sheets. Loosen two corners when it dries so it is easier to peal of the paper. And when it wrinkles it usually means that it wasn't completly dry when you took it of. If it dries after you peal it of it tends to wrinkle.
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

bethnor wrote:i'm finally getting around to using mc.

regarding clean-up--it's okay just to dilute it with lots of water and wash it down the sink, right? don't want to clog the drains.

i also tried applying a mixture of acrylic and mc to tant. i thought i had the consistency right, but the final one was about as thick as toothpaste. when i tried to apply it, the color didn't really saturate the paper at all. i assume it needs to be looser.

Fine to wash it down the drains....just run the water a bit.
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

I just want to say. I had proved MC. It's wonderful, i am in a road without return.