Crumpled paper (vog paper)

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Crumpled paper (vog paper)

Post by origami_8 »

I mean when I use one of those breakaway knifes, I prefer the bigger heavier ones over the small and light ones. They big ones cut through the paper with far more ease, at least that's my experience.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

okay I will keep that in mind
thank you :)
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i used an x-acto knife to cut vog paper no problem. i did have a metal straight edge that i lay over the paper and cut along, though, as well as a self-healing cutting mat.
oswalakhil

Post by oswalakhil »

Hi

Posting this as it might help some...

I just ordered 60+ sheets of this crumpled paper off a Taobao agent ( the Chinese equivalent of ebay), at a pretty cheap rate ( coming down to 35$ including shipping)

Not promoting :) But I wanted to try this paper, and yes I'm open to using MC, I've had to with practically all the papers I've used anyway.

If all goes well, i will receive the sheets, unless they're stolen by post or customs, or not destroyed in the process. I'm hopeful anyways :) in 3 weeks.

If anyone wants details I can help, or you might want to wait till I receive the papers so we know its genuine!
Cheers
FoldSkate

Post by FoldSkate »

I found this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/200-ordi ... 81750.html
im going to try ordering from them. It's so cheap haha.
origami_kid

Post by origami_kid »

Sorry to open old topics, but I had a question, since I've been using this kind of paper without knowing what it actually was for a long time.
I think this paper is fairly good because it has a decent size (64x64), it's relatively thin (60gsm) and has nice colors. But I always treat the whole piece of paper with MC (CMC in my case) before folding it. The problem with that is that more than 50% of the time the paper tears on the glass before it completely dries out. I think that's because it's not flexible like unryu for example, or mulberry paper. Most times I end up patching the torn parts of the paper before I peel it off the glass.
Did anyone else have this experience with this paper? Or is everyone using MC for the final shaping of the model?

To comment on the debate from the previous 5 pages, I used this paper without MC to fold Jun Maekawa's Devil model and it turned out fine - but that's because this model doesn't require shaping once finished.
But most of the time if I don't pre-treat the paper with MC before folding the finished model looks mediocre.
Example of models where I used this paper (pre-treated with MC) and which required lots of shaping:
Fauno - Sipho Mabona by Horatiu Petrescu, on Flickr

Dwarf - Eric Joisel by Horatiu Petrescu, on Flickr

And this one, where choosing this type of paper was a big mistake, because it torn in many places and I had to repair it:
ImageTwo headed dragon - Nham Van Son by Horatiu Petrescu, on Flickr
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

VOG paper is perfectly fine--the only thing i was trying to point out was that you couldn't just use it straight out of the package and expect the results you were seeing on flickr.

it's been so long, so i'll never find it, but even the VOG people didn't quite see what the fuss was about. they use it because it's cheap and relatively available.

despite its use in super complex models, it's actually close in thickness to kami, so it's not really all that suitable for insects.

at the end of the day, it comes to economics. let's throw out shipping and handling to simplify the question. in the US, you can get one sheet of shoyu paper for $2.75 from origami-shop usa. you can get 24 sheets of tissue paper from papermart for $2.40. the latter option gives you 12 sheets of 20" x 30" double tissue that you can use for virtually any origami project.

VOG paper is perfectly fine, but there's no point in pouring lots of cash into it unless there is a project you have that takes good advantage of the crumpled texture.
origami_kid

Post by origami_kid »

Still, my main question was if anyone else had issues with pre-treating this VOG paper with MC, i.e. the paper tears on the glass before it completely dries out.