Paper for Hojyo Takashi's Buddha

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
skyraftwanderer

Paper for Hojyo Takashi's Buddha

Post by skyraftwanderer »

Hello all,

Just wondering what the best paper for this particular model? I've tried with "normal paper" and I think I've pushed it to its limits (or maybe, I'm just awful at this).

Anyhoo, I've been looking at various papers (Tant, Lotka etc) and I'm a little confused. I've seen some one fold it from Tant paper, and that would be my first choice but I thought I would just ask here, since everyone seems so knowledgeable and very helpful. And double checking always helps.

A thousand thank you's for any answers I may receive.
Flame_Kurosei

Re: Paper for Hojyo Takahashi's Buddha

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

Hello skyraftwanderer,

I've seen it folded from a whole variety of papers, so it's hard to say if there is a single best paper type to use for the model.
I've never folded from Tant before, so I can't say whether it's a good choice or not. However, from the looks of folded versions online, it seems to perform decently.
I've folded the model from Terry Tissue foil--its spangled shine and foldability lead to a pleasant appearance. That's only my opinion though, so don't think too much out of it. ;)

Nevertheless, have fun folding,

~Flame
A tiny place to post my things. Enjoy~
http://flamekurosei.deviantart.com/
skyraftwanderer

Re: Paper for Hojyo Takashi's Buddha

Flame_Kurosei,

Tant paper, and tissue foil is heading to my house right now. I predict fun times ahead. Lots of fun times.

Many thanks for the reply.
Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

You're most certainly welcome, and upload some pictures when you're done! I'd like to see them. :D
A tiny place to post my things. Enjoy~
http://flamekurosei.deviantart.com/
skyraftwanderer

In advance, it's very, very, VERY rough.

http://skyraft.files.wordpress.com/2012 ... ha-001.jpg

But, it’s the first time I’ve finished him. The first time I’ve crossed the hundred folding instructions mark, and the first time I’ve folded something (badly) that has been classed as complex. And yeah, I'll be folding him again in a few weeks. I have to get the fingers (took me ages, after so many attempts stopped there they honestly started to scare me) thumbs and body a whole lot better (practice, practice, practice)

So in spite of his roughness I’ve impossibly happy as I folded him, and he’s my Buddha fold, which I really like.

But still, there will be more to come. I really want to get as close as possible to the one on Gilad's Origami Book Reviews. Hopefully, one day.

And Flame_Kurosei, thank you for the paper suggestions. I've folded some other tissue foil things. Honestly, I don't know how I lived without it.