San Francisco Paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
jewishdan18

San Francisco Paper

Post by jewishdan18 »

Since I am in San Francisco for a few weeks, I figured I would check out some of the paper stores in the area. I visited the Paper Source and got a look at their lotka, and then went to the Paper Tree. Does anyone in the area have recommendations on what papers are good from these places, or even if there are other stores in the area? I know I can get Paper Source lotka online, except they had an excellent swirled orange that wasn't on their website.

The un-ryu at Paper Tree really stood out to me. $2.50 per 25"x36" sheet in a very wide variety of colors seems like a steal. They also had Nepalese lokta, Onion paper, and sugar cane paper. They all seemed quite thin and good for MCing. Has anyone gotten these papers and know if they are good for complex models?

Unfortunately I don't have my MCing equipment with me, so Paper Tree will be a one shot deal, unless I can work out ordering by phone/email with the owners. My instinct is to buy some of everything and play around with it!