White backing is driving me crazy.

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Stephi_see

White backing is driving me crazy.

Post by Stephi_see »

Hello everyone. I'm brand new and hopefully posting in the correct thread. I have several questions. Im making my wedding centerpieces of all origami flowers and I'm having trouble. 

I  have a large collection of yuzen-shi washi papers from various vendors. Its working well for my wedding flowers; texture, weight, patterns and it's ability to hold shape are amazing. However, the white backing is driving me crazy. 

I've been thinking of finding other paper to use that is double sided but I don't know where to look. Any suggestions?

I don't know the gsm of washi papers so shopping is almost impossible. Most of the double sided papers I've found are much thinner than what I'm looking for and only available in bulk with a variety of colors. I only want shades of blue (any and all shades are acceptable).  I also want patterned paper so tant papers won't work. 

I've also thought of using double sided foil paper, totally different but I love it all the same and it will work, but I can't find double sided blues in bulk. 

Also, is there a way to possibly color the backs after the flowers have been made with the paper I am using? I've considered trying to paint them with a water based glaze or acrylic paint in a spray bottle but I'm concerned the flowers will lose their shape or it will bleed through. 

So I guess my main questions are:
What  is the gsm of the yuzen-shi washi paper I'm using now? And is there a comparable double sided paper? 
Is it possible to find double sided blue foils in bulk? 
Is it possible to find any patterned blue papers in bulk without buying the variety packs?
Or is there a way to color the backs that won't bleed through or ruin the shape? 

Any advice or suggestions are very appreciated.  I don't mind doing my own research but I don't know where to look.  

Thank you,
Stephi
mummykicks

Re: White backing is driving me crazy.

Post by mummykicks »

If thickness isn't really too much of an issue you could MC a sheet of colored tissue to one side giving you a duo-color sheet.