Prefolded origami paper?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
origamipapermonster

Prefolded origami paper?

Post by origamipapermonster »

Hi everyone - we're looking to order in some new Unryu paper for our website www.origamipapermonster.com and our supplier is offering them in the size 25"x37". I have a couple questions:

1. Is it ok for us to prefold these paper into smaller packages so that it can be easily shipped or would people prefer it to be rolled up in the tube? The issue is that we would have to charge a much higher shipping fee and won't be able to offer our flat rate fee anymore because it is much more expensive to ship tubes.

2. Is that the size people want? We could also precut it so that it is more easily shipped into say 6" squares

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions!
www.origamipapermonster.com - Canada and USA's online origami paper store
LayersofPaper

Re: Prefolded origami paper?

Post by LayersofPaper »

the large sheets will sell better. while folding the paper is not not ideal, it is better (in my opinion) than charging more for shipping because these kinds of papers are almost always treated with methyl cellulose before use which would get rid of the folds anyway. powdered methyl cellulose would be a great product to have at your shop. also a good deal on elephant hide paper would win my business. you can pm me my coupon any time ;o) jk (sort of)
fncll

Post by fncll »

Since one should always cut squares from unryu after it has been treated, and since the (necessary) treatment will generally take care of the creases from folding, I don't see why you shouldn't keep your flat rate method.

You could always offer an extra charge if someone really wants it shipped in a tube, no?
origamipapermonster

Thanks for the comments! It sounds like folded is the way to go then. I was getting worried that it is silly to sell pre-fold paper for origami when people would want to fold it themselves lol

Is there particular colours of urynu that people prefer? There are so many choices!!

What do people think about metallic painted mulberry paper and sugar cane paper? I don't hear as much about them as I do unryu papers. We can also start to carry those as well if people want them. Is it ok to fold those too? They also come in quite large sizes.

I will definitely look into the MC glue - been hearing about lots of this forum and other sites. Will have to look into elephant hide too!
dragon

Post by dragon »

Would it be possible for you to ship to the UK (charging the extra shipping fee)?
fncll

Post by fncll »

origamipapermonster wrote: What do people think about metallic painted mulberry paper and sugar cane paper? I don't hear as much about them as I do unryu papers. We can also start to carry those as well if people want them. Is it ok to fold those too? They also come in quite large sizes.

I will definitely look into the MC glue - been hearing about lots of this forum and other sites. Will have to look into elephant hide too!
You might also look into banana paper (and mango paper).

As far as MC goes (which I also use in bookbinding), I recommend selling powder if possible. I prefer these two (no affiliation):

A nice, compact powder that can be mixed right in the container it comes from: http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/pap ... 07101.html

and simple powder: http://www.chemistrystore.com/Chemicals ... ulose.html
origamipapermonster

Yes we could. I think it's around $25 or more to ship to the UK though so we didn't think people would be interested. But if you want us to put together a quote for us, just let me know!
dragon wrote:Would it be possible for you to ship to the UK (charging the extra shipping fee)?
origamipapermonster

Thank you - love all the suggestions :) Will look into that too!

For MC - what is the ideal container size? I see chemistry store sells it for 1 lbs at the minimum! but a bunch of other places usually sell it for 1.5 oz only .
fncll wrote:
You might also look into banana paper (and mango paper).

As far as MC goes (which I also use in bookbinding), I recommend selling powder if possible. I prefer these two (no affiliation):

A nice, compact powder that can be mixed right in the container it comes from: http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/pap ... 07101.html

and simple powder: http://www.chemistrystore.com/Chemicals ... ulose.html
fncll

Post by fncll »

The product from the Paper Source is maybe two tablespoons or so in a 16 oz jar. It goes a long ways. The bulk suggestion was just if you wanted to go a similar route and package it yourself in some way...
origamipapermonster

That's good to know. I was wondering how much was in that cuz it didn't say. Maybe we will give different options of packaging depending if people want just the powder, or want the powder prepackaged in a jar so they can mix it right in there.
origamipapermonster

Thanks for the recommendation of adding MC glue! We just added it to our online store and you can see it here http://www.origamipapermonster.com/meth ... se-powder/

Please let me know if you have recommendations on different container size etc. or if you'd like to just buy the powder in a sealed bag etc. We can look into that as well