Ogami vs. Origamido for a project

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
FoldSkate

Ogami vs. Origamido for a project

Post by FoldSkate »

Hi guys. I am debating whether to buy Origamido or Ogami to fold Brian Chan's locust. I have practiced the model with many types of paper and think I'm ready for the good stuff. Now I wanted to know which paper to get. I noticed Ogami is a bit more expensive but also a little larger. Maybe someone could give pros and cons? Also should I use a green or brown color? Thanks, bye.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Re: Ogami vs. Origamido for a project

Post by Razzmatazz »

If you have done it with many types of paper, choose which paper you had the best result with and then compare it to either Ogami or Origamido. Which ever one it resembles most, use that one. Voila!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The main difference between Ogami and Origamido is that it is produced by different people. Ogami was thought as alternative to Origamido because Origamido was very hard to get before origami-shop sold it. Both Origamido as well as Ogami are brand names and not a specific kind of paper. Origamido paper is the paper Michael LaFosse and Richard Alexander make for their own models. They make a batch of paper use as much as they need and sell the remaining. Both brands are handmade paper especially made for folding. In the past I folded with Origamido nearly as thick as cardboard that was thought for wetfolding a specific butterfly and I have a sheet of Origamido at home that is thinner than tissue paper. The question is what kinds of paper are available for sale right now and what exactly you are looking for for your model. I guess whether it is Origamido or Ogami doesn't matter in the end, but thickness and colour and the kind of fibres used do.
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

I live somewhat close to the people that make the Ogami paper. I have around 10 sheets of it at the moment. It is bigger than origamido by almost double size. But origami do has a bigger selection of colors and you can get any color/thickness that you want. So it is basically personal preference.

Jake
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)