Paper For a Mantis Shrimp

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.

Which paper should I use?

O-gami
20%
Unryu
80%
Lokta
No votes

Total votes: 5

Baltorigamist

Paper For a Mantis Shrimp

Post by Baltorigamist »

At the recommendation of someone on Flickr, I've decided to refold my Mantis Shrimp 2015 from some "better" paper. But I'm not sure which is best.
So I'm turning to you guys. Which do you think I should fold it from?
- O-gami, orange, 21"
- Unryu, black or purple, ~23"
- Lokta, blue, 17"
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Malleon

Re: Paper For a Mantis Shrimp

Post by Malleon »

Lokta is probably too thick for insects, so that can be ruled out.

I'm thinking about using Unryu or O-gami. O-gami would be great if its the superthin variant.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

none of the above.

i think double tissue is the most economical and practical answer. if you need a square > 50 cm/side, gluing two sheets of double tissue together with most standard tissue paper will yield you a ~ 65 cm square. if you glue together four sheets of double tissue, you can get a ~ 100 cm square. assuming you use american greetings tissue paper, which is easily available, this will run you ~ $5.00 + the cost of the mc/labor.

assuming you want to use "handmade" paper, i think the next best option is hanji. you can get 25" x 37" sheets from hiromi.com for $5.00/sheet. that's more expensive than unryu, but at least you won't have to deal with the fibers getting in the way. again, you can glue together two sheets of hanji to get yourself a ~ ~ 91 cm square (i'm shaving off a little here for the deckle edges). even if you don't do that, one sheet of ogami will net you three sheets of hanji for the same cost.
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

bethnor wrote:none of the above.

i think double tissue is the most economical and practical answer. if you need a square > 50 cm/side, gluing two sheets of double tissue together with most standard tissue paper will yield you a ~ 65 cm square. if you glue together four sheets of double tissue, you can get a ~ 100 cm square. assuming you use american greetings tissue paper, which is easily available, this will run you ~ $5.00 + the cost of the mc/labor.

assuming you want to use "handmade" paper, i think the next best option is hanji. you can get 25" x 37" sheets from hiromi.com for $5.00/sheet. that's more expensive than unryu, but at least you won't have to deal with the fibers getting in the way. again, you can glue together two sheets of hanji to get yourself a ~ ~ 91 cm square (i'm shaving off a little here for the deckle edges). even if you don't do that, one sheet of ogami will net you three sheets of hanji for the same cost.
While that is a great assessment on the economical standpoint, what I can understand from his post is that he has the mentioned papers already.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks for the input. I still haven't really started the model (unless you count folding the O-gami into fifths), and I have a pack of hanji on the way. So I'll probably decide then.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr