why does nobody here buy at origami-shop

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
TootyFruty

why does nobody here buy at origami-shop

Post by TootyFruty »

they got like the best papers and all you guys talk about is sneaking some papers from the mail office and using some trash copy papers what is going on?
phillipcurl

Re: why does nobody here buy at origami-shop

Post by phillipcurl »

Maybe because it can be fun to use unique papers and not everybody wants to pay a lot of money and wait weeks for their paper to arrive. Origami-shop is great but I can get paper better suited to how I fold locally for less money, and a hell of a lot quicker. And I don't know what you mean by "nobody here buys from origami-shop"... I guarantee you most everyone on this forum does. I buy at least one book from them a year.
Please don't spam anymore, I'm going to delete any further posts of yours having anything to do with telling people where to buy their paper from.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

unique? origami shop got the most unique and you guys use at max tissue foil.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Why do you assume that nobody buys their paper there?
Apart from the fact that many members of this Forum do, the paper sold at Origami-Shop also has different properties to self prepared paper like tissue foil or double MC paper. The stuff they sell as tissue foil is actually something completely different to what we make ourselves. What paper to use depends highly on the model you want to fold, so a big variety of papers is always good. And why not use a cheap self made paper if it has exactly the properties you need for a model?
With tissue foil you are very free when it comes to colour combination and have a stiff and sturdy paper perfect for most boxpleated models. Tell me why we should use something else instead.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

thanks a lot for the answer, and just for knowledge. where do you guys get your tissue paper from with range of colors?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The next best office store, or several Internet shops. Modulor has big bags with a good variety of colours.
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

TootyFruty wrote:thanks a lot for the answer, and just for knowledge. where do you guys get your tissue paper from with range of colors?
Blick's has a good assortment: http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-art-tissue/

Amazon has some atypical colors, such as gray (http://tinyurl.com/oatt5em) and tan/beige (http://tinyurl.com/z6uegpo).
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

is 2$ for 45 sheets legit?
or can it get any cheaper?
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i used to use origami-shop quite a bit more than i do now. i was in search of the "perfect paper"--paper that came in large, perfect squares that was thin and strong, that would give me the amazing results you saw on flickr. i eagerly tried all their new offerings, but was always a little disappointed. VOG paper was especially dispiriting.

the reality is this: there is no perfect paper. the closest to "perfect" paper for super complex models is double tissue or mc-treated handmade papers. there is no reason to get either from origami-shop. one of the old timers who no longer posts here said it best: once you go mc, you never go back.

that said, as long as you have realistic expectations, origami-shop has an amazing selection. it's one of the two remaining places where you can get japanese foil in 35 cm squares. the 50 cm foil-backed rolls are also really good. incidentally, both of these make for great tissue foil. he has a great selection of tant, but if you live stateside, it's easier getting it from one of the stateside vendors.

the remaining "new" stuff has limitations. for instance, biotope is listed under "ultra-thin"--but even this is still too thick to fold models like kamiya's lyrebird and complex insects! there are many papers with interesting textures, but you have to accept that, for the most part, you are going to have to do something to get the results you see on flickr--glue, wire, cotton stuffing, painting, foil-backing, mc-backcoating, etc., etc.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

is there any possible way to get unryu and textured tissue papers except from origami shop? at good price? and if yes would it be exactly like the ones from origami shop or worse quality?
Augustus Agamemnon

Post by Augustus Agamemnon »

I know a shop in Liverpool(the city where I live) and I think that they sell what you are looking for but I don't know whether it's cheaper than the ones in origami shop. Anyway I'm pretty much sure that you may not be living in the UK but I'm sure that there are shops that aren't far from where you live and sell what you are looking for at a cheaper price.
Last edited by Augustus Agamemnon on January 10th, 2016, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

can you check it for me please ?
Augustus Agamemnon

I tried to find the shop's website but couldn't. I found a website where they sell unryu paper but they didn't have a large variety of colours as origami shop. Ant the price is much more expensive too.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

there is a big myth out there says that origami shop is too expensive to buy from. i just want to verify its false.
Augustus Agamemnon

I've heard of that rumour, and I think it could be true, because no one has been to all paper shops in the world, and it's not easy to compare prices of shops in two different countries.