why does nobody here buy at origami-shop

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
TootyFruty

Re: why does nobody here buy at origami-shop

Post by TootyFruty »

i dont say they are cheap. but they are defenitly something else. all material for origami centered at one shop gathering all the precious stuff. if you are serious about origami you probably going to buy from them. maybe the price at somewhere else is a bit lower but that quality is probably lower too. thanks for the help.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Tootyfrooty. How much are they paying you too promote the origamishop website?
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

But too give you some insight anyway. I used too buy my paper from a store called harolds it is in Rotterdam. It costs me 7euro to get there with the train, so that is almost as much as shipping fees would cost me. Proberly less then when I buy from a online shop in america maybe less then what I would pay for shipping in the netherlands. A big pro is that in that shop I can see the paper I want, feel how thick it is etc.
Elephant hide is 1.50 euro
Tissue paper 20cts a sheet for normal colors
50cts a sheet for weird colors like gold and silver.
If I remember correct the more special handmade papers ranged from 2 euro up to 15 euro a sheet. I didn't really buy those because I could feel they were too thin for my needs. I used too buy 10 too 20 sheets of each color I liked so I wouldn't have too travel too many times.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

google. learn to use it.

i am pretty sure most of the unryu paper being sold commercially is mass produced from a handful of distributors. so whether you get it from origami-shop, fineartstore.com, mulberry papers and more, etc., etc., it is the same.

if you live in the US, there is zero reason to buy unryu from origam-shop. even if the cost were comparable, you are paying for the overseas shipping and handling, plus the wait.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

yes i agree that us guys are not supposed to buy there even though they got a shop in the us as well. but unryu i havent found anything cheaper than them. and still looking for
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

its not cheaper, if i am correct every piece costs $2.49
correct me if i am wrong,.
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

Hmmmm...not quite sure what you're seeing...? When I look at Origami-shop's unryu, I see 24" x 24" squares listed as being €3.50, which currently equates to $3.81; on the US site it's $3.49. For the others, I see slightly larger 25" X 37" sheets for:

Mulberry Papers and More: $3.19

Dick Blick's: $2.79 (cheaper if bought in bulk)

Hollanders: $3.00-$3.25

Or did I miss something...? Granted, there's a convenience cost to getting pre-cut squares, so it's up to any individual to decide how much that's worth...
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

Hi Guys
Thanks for your comment !

I promise that I didn't pay TootyFruty to promote Origami-shop :o))))))

It's a nice talk for me because that give me some tips to improve the store.
For me the store is first a tool to sell the books that I publish and more I can propose interesting stuffs, more I can continue to publish new books. Because I'm first a folder, I mainly enjoy to improve the store for the enthousiasts folders (it's not very interesting for me to sell an other 15x15cm chiyogami).
That's why, I'm always interest to know your needs.

- For example, I've proposed extra large sheets for the complex models, and found new textured papers.
- Since last year, I've decided to propose free shipping fees for most countries in the world (over order 50€ without taxes) because several of you request this possibilies (and I found interesting that everybody in the workd could receive easily and for free, any origami stuffs).
- I try to propose as much as possible original and new content, books, paper and stuffs
- I try also to keep the price as attractive as possible, and I hope you might understand that I need to include the cut part, the folding part, and the free shipping fees for a world delivery into the final price and that can explain why in some case, I can't compete to your local store (or big national store that find margin in other non origami items).
- The next addition should be new papers for Wetfolding (like Arche), better matchamking between a specific sheet and a model and maybe uncut extralarge sheet.

If you have some specific needs, or even strange ideas of stuff, just let me know and I will be really happy to see how it could possible.

I never wanted to propose a classic origami store. This is really so boring to be just a retailer.
The spirit of the shop was always, from the beginning, to meet the needs of enthousiasts folders by providing them what they are not easily found.
So please, made the wildest wishes, the most extravagant demands, or simply explain me how you would like the store is changing, and I promise to take into account your wishes and find the best answer.

Nicolas
http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami