Question about mc

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
TootyFruty

Question about mc

Post by TootyFruty »

1) when you guys say Mc you mean you have paste that contains Mc? or you're talking about pure mc?
thanks alot sorry i didnt post it in its thread i feel it doesnt belong there
And another thing:
2) After i mix it with water should i wait or can use it right away. Should i stir it too?
And last thing. 3) After i am done using it where should i put it i mean thepazte with the water. Should it sit somewhere else from the paste that isnt mixed with water?
nathanzimet

Re: Question about mc

Post by nathanzimet »

for 2 and 3, you'll have the best luck following the package instructions. I use Elmer's Art Paste (mainly because it was the only available one I could find) which only has one ingredient, which is methelcelulose. Its package instructions say after combining the powder with the water, stir for 10 minutes, then rest for about 30, and store extra powder in an airtight, cool dark place. Other brands may vary, but I feel like this method will be pretty typical for most brands of MC.
[and also, because we're all going to do it at some point: yes, I have used the MC paste immediately after stirring and it worked out in the end, though the consistency wasn't right]
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

1) Most often I speak about the ready to use mix of water and MC powder. The brand I use is Metylan normal but most wallpaper pastes that come in powder form will do, as well as the stuff they sell in art supply stores to make Papier-mâché.
2) Prepare it according to the package instruction. I put the powder and water in a jar, close it with a lid and shake it until the powder is well dissolved, then wait until the bubbles disappear.
3) My mixed up MC is in a closed jam jar in the fridge. The mixture in my fridge is way thicker then the one I use. If I want to use it, I take a little bit out and mix it with water until it has the right consistency.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

thanks a lot and one last thing:
does it matter what tissue paper i use for each side of mc tissue paper? i mean does it matter whether its fur tissue paper or unryu? and can i combine one this and one that? besides, wouldnt the mc ruin the fur on the fur tissue paper if i use fur tissue? and can i combine 2 kinds of tissue on tissue FOIL as well? one different on each side?
that's it thanks a lot.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Theoreticaly it should be possible to combine them either way you like. You could however run into problems if the papers shrink and stretch very differently when getting wet and drying. To find out what combinations work for you, you have to find out yourself. Recently I made tissue foil with usual tissue paper on one and some kind of fur tissue paper on the other side and it worked just fine:

ImageGen Hagiwara - Chipmunk by origami_8, auf Flickr
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

wow that's some nice model. gj!
btw how do you upload pics? do you upload to flickr and then take the link from flickr and put it in the forum? this photo for example. can you teach me or send me link for a guide or something i am planning on uploading some pics too in the future.
thanks.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes, upload them to flickr, then click on the the little arrow in the bottom left corner that says "share photo" if you put your mouse on it. A window pops up. Choose "BBCode" and the "Middle 640", then copy and paste the link you get. By the way, we have an own topic on how to insert pictures.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

should I spread mc over one side of the double tissue and it will be enough or 2 sided is required- once at the back and once at the front right after the back was dried?
and how much should i wait until i can cut the square and fold it?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Depends on the paper you use. If it is bleeding tissue paper, one layer of MC on top of the two sheets of paper is usually sufficient. If it is paper that doesn't let the glue through, you will need to apply the MC on one sheet first, then spread the second paper over it and apply a second coating.
Wait until the paper is completely dry again before cutting and folding it. You risk ripping it if you pull it off the glass earlier. With some papers however you can also fold them still moist. It works fine for Tant with Tissue paper for example.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

how can i know if its a bleeding tissue paper or not? and for how long until it will be completely dry approximately?
and should i do it on glass desk or can i do it on wood desk as well?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

If there is no hint on the package (where I live you can get single sheets as well), you can just lick one of your fingers to make it wet and rub one corner of the paper with it. If the colour stays on the paper it is not bleeding, if the colour gets onto your finger it is bleeding paper.

The surface has to be glass. For a long time I used a frameless picture frame, because it is cheap and big, but any sheet of glass will do, be it a mirror, or a window, ...

The time the paper needs to dry depends on so many factors that an approximate time can not be given. If you are in a hot and dry climate and applied only a thin layer of MC it may be as less as half an hour, if you are in a cold and moist area and applied a thick coating, a day may not be enough. Expect it to be several hours. Prepare the paper in the evening and let it dry over night, chances are good it will be ready to use in the morning.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

1) why does it have to be on glass rather than a wood plank?
2) should i cut it on the glass too or its too dangerous? and should i pass it into wood plank?
i can get easily wood plank am not sure about the glass though
thanks.

i should mention i use rotary cutter

and lastly, will it be good on formica rather than a glass ? what do you think? i can get formica on wood and it should be like glass quality.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

1) The MC will bond to the wood. You won't be able to get the paper off again.
You surely have windows or a mirror at home, do you?
I just changed my mind, do it and then report back how it went, with a photo of the result please!
2) No, get yourself a self healing cutting Mat.
3) No idea what formica is and what its properties are, therefore I can not tell you whether it works or not.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

so should i try the wood? i have mirror but i cant rip it off just for my folding its needed as a mirror and the windows are needed as windows!
beside it could easily break.
self healing cutting mat ill check at google if i wont find ill ask you to give me a link thanks.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

Will the mc ruin the texture of the tissue paper as you spread it on it? I got some beautiful unryu and i am afraid to try it. Thanks