Question about mc

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
bobzomgville

Re: Question about mc

Post by bobzomgville »

Formica looks like it might work but i haven't tried so I may be wrong about that.
I think Anna also already answered your question about wood.
1) The MC will bond to the wood. You won't be able to get the paper off again.
You surely have windows or a mirror at home, do you?

As for your most recent question about Unryu, I think the answer is yes. I have never actually tried Origami Shop Unryu so I can't say, but I've been treating sheets of Hanji ( Not from Origami Shop) and Mulberry (Also not from Origami Shop) for a while, and they're not crisp enough to fold well unless you apply MC, and in the off chance you even manage that, unless you're prepared to slather the model with glue, shaping will also be very hard.

Also, what exactly do you mean by texture? I've never tried Unryu so I don't know what it feels like, but you should know that after sizing, paper generally has a shiny side, and a rough side, although I think Robert Lang said you can remove the shine with water
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

the only way to know is to try. unryu by itself will not be crisp enough to fold--even with mc, folding it is more akin to folding cloth. it will not lose its texture--in fact, it's very easily found when researching the topic, but unryu's texture is also its weakness as a folding medium. sometimes huge fibers land right in the middle of a crease. OTOH, unryu is the amongst the cheapest and most readily available of the "high end" papers, so it's not the end of the universe if you "fail."

i recommend that you first paint the surface you are going to use with a layer of mc. roll the unryu over it. then add another layer.

lol, i was a real jerk in the VOG paper thread. that said, i feel justified; i spent a lot of money snatching up the first batch terry got, and other than that ancient dragon, have not used it at all. another annoying property that nobody talks about is, they don't quite come in perfect squares. you're better off using "high-end" papers, imho.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

i will try it on formica and tell you how it goes.
1) so i can fold unryu with mc on or not?
and would it be enough or glue is required too? and when you say glue you mean kraft white glue with water?
2) so according to what you said bob i should mc the unryu on the rough side?
3) and what do you mean unryu is cheap paper. its pretty expensive and beautiful.
i ment it will ruin the fibers and the smoothness of the unryu but now u said i should put it on the rough side i guess it soolves it.
bobzomgville

Post by bobzomgville »

Here are my answers to your questions in corresponding order :)
Lets get one thing out of the way first. mc IS glue.
1) According to Bethnor it still won't be crisp enough and you need to use two sheets (the second might not have to be unryu). I have however tried single Hanji (not what origami shop sells as unryu hanji) and It works although its not as nice to fold. Its very thin you use a single layer of it so I guess its a tradeoff. You don't use another kind of glue. Mc IS the glue you use. I think you can just go up to the mc thread to see how to mc papers.
2)If you want to keep unryu's texture I think you should mc with the rough side up although I may be wrong
3) He means its cheap in relation to other papers (origamido, ogami, super expensive hand made papers)

Also, sorry if I sounded sarcastic in the VOG topic, I was just itching to use Let me google that for you.
Last edited by bobzomgville on January 13th, 2016, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

thanks man, and its totally fine you were the nicest there :P
1) is there a situation of using mc after you start folding? i saw couple of people use it in the middle section of the folding proccess but not sure if it was mc or white glue.
2) if one layer of unryu wont be crispy enough after mcing it i dont see any reason that 2 layers of it will be. am i wrong?
thanks again man.