is there any way to make it dual colored?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
TootyFruty

is there any way to make it dual colored?

Post by TootyFruty »

I mean for satogami papers and vintage papers they are one sided (same color both sides) is it possible to glue on one side tissue paper? and wouldnt it feel weird to have two different textures on each side? and if not what else can i do? And if the size of the paper is something like 80×80?
would love to hear what you guys have to say. thanks.
besides is it normal that after I mc tissue paper it gets all wrinkled up? (when it dries)
(completely 2 different questions.)
thanks
jonathanshsl

Re: is there any way to make it dual colored?

Post by jonathanshsl »

1) Yes, by pasting Tissue Paper you can make Vintage and Satogami papers Duo-sided
2) You might think that it's a bit weird, but it's fine to work with.
3) I'm not fully sure, but in Michael Lafosse's book it says that you just overlap the Tissue Papers. Since they're so thin, you won't really feel the overlap.
4)Yes, it's normal that it has some wrinkles. You can try to remove them while the paper is still wet

Hope this helped you
dinogami

Re: is there any way to make it dual colored?

Post by dinogami »

TootyFruty wrote:besides is it normal that after I mc tissue paper it gets all wrinkled up? (when it dries)
I haven't had this problem with tissue paper--it sticks nicely to my glass sheet when MC'd and stays adhered just enough when drying to prevent this (you can loosen it nicely with a putty knife and then peel it off). However, I have had the problem you describe with some other papers, specifically some lokta I have (see thread http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12447). To prevent this, I purchased a large, perforated acrylic sheet (as described in that thread) and have lain it over the wet sheet with the intention that the weight of the acrylic sheet would prevent the contraction but the holes would allow drying. Turns out that one must move the acrylic sheet around after the parts exposed in the holes dries to allow the rest to dry, but in general, it works. However, with some of the lokta sheets, it leaves permanent rings on the sheet. It doesn't seem to do with with unryu or hanji, as I recall, so it seems to be a problem only with specific papers. Nevertheless, if you can afford such a sheet of acrylic, it might solve your problem.

I did not try draping the sheet over a clothesline and letting it dry that way as origami_8 suggested in the aforementioned thread as I don't have a handy clothesline and haven't had an opportunity to rig anything else up, but that may also be a good solution--worth trying, certainly, especially with tissue paper being as inexpensive as it is.