Accurate cutting of a 19x19 inch square

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
SpencerSDH

Accurate cutting of a 19x19 inch square

Post by SpencerSDH »

I just bought two pads of 19x24 inch Strathmore 300 Series tracing paper, and cutting the pieces into squares is driving me nuts. I've got a large right angle measure that I've been using to try and cut them into squares, but I recently found out that the sheets aren't the same width on both ends. There is a difference of about 2-3 millimeters, and its causing huge problems. The width of the paper at the shortest end is about 2-3 millimeters over 19 inches, so there is a little wiggle room. Does anybody have any idea how I can cut this accurately into a square of 19x19? I don't actually know how accurate the right angle measure I bought is. It's just a big metal one, but it might not be good enough for differences this small.
Baltorigamist

Re: Accurate cutting of a 19x19 inch square

Post by Baltorigamist »

Most cutting mats lend themselves to cutting accurate squares, at least from my experience. The downside is they're not always very cheap.

Btw where did you buy the paper? I haven't been able to find any in stores for a while.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
SpencerSDH

Post by SpencerSDH »

Baltorigamist wrote:Btw where did you buy the paper? I haven't been able to find any in stores for a while.
You can order it online. I got it from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Strathmore-Traci ... B000JLMZNU
BM-origami-design

Post by BM-origami-design »

You could fold the top edge to the right edge of the paper and the top edge to the left edge of the paper. That way you will create two diagonals. Cut a horizontally between the ends where the diagonals hit the sides of the paper. This is usually quite accurate.
Hope this helps.
Lexigon5

Post by Lexigon5 »

For all my cutting I use Acrylic stencils made to measure 3mm thick and use a rotary cutter.
Perfect results every time and very fast. They are also very cheap and will last forever.
I recommend ordering Black as opposed to clear since clear sheets are easy to misplace.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

I will second Balto's suggestion of a cutting mat. That is what I use. They have a grid on them that you can use to line things up. With one of them and a good straight edge, you will be fine.
CharlesWallace

Post by CharlesWallace »

Use of a T-Square (if you have one handy) is also a quick, accurate, and simple-to-use way of cutting paper of all sizes and textures.
If you decide to purchase one, be sure the ruler/cutting edge is metal and not (with cheaper models) plastic. All in all, this is an inexpensive (one-time) purchase for something you will use over and over again.

Happy folding,
CharlesWallace