Best paper for Robert Lang's ant

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Mycelium

Best paper for Robert Lang's ant

Post by Mycelium »

This is a picture of my work so far:
https://s31.postimg.org/mvsmedd0r/IMG_2 ... 181745.jpg

I'm using 40 x 40cm paper of weight 60g/m2.
I'm concerned that my paper is too thick because the body of the ant spreads quite a bit. What do you think, is it worth finishing? I'm not sure what paper would be better, the paper I used was costly. I don't want to spend that much again.
myself

Re: Best paper for Robert Lang's ant

Post by myself »

I think you should finish it. You can lock the body by tucking the lower part of the flap under the other part of the body. I think that's what the diagrams say as well. Other than that, the thickness and paper size shouldn't be much of a problem.
BM-origami-design

Post by BM-origami-design »

You should definitely finish it.
You might consider using MC on the legs to make them easier to fold thinner but certainly finish it. Even if you think it might not be that great….usually it still is ;)
You are your own worst critic :D
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

Mycelium wrote:This is a picture of my work so far:

I'm concerned that my paper is too thick because the body of the ant spreads quite a bit. What do you think, is it worth finishing? I'm not sure what paper would be better, the paper I used was costly. I don't want to spend that much again.
just fyi, this ant is very doable with ordinary kami. it looks great with a 7" precut square, but if you're new, 10" is a good starting point.
Mycelium

Post by Mycelium »

BM-origami-design wrote:You should definitely finish it.
You might consider using MC on the legs to make them easier to fold thinner but certainly finish it. Even if you think it might not be that great….usually it still is ;)
You are your own worst critic :D
myself wrote:I think you should finish it. You can lock the body by tucking the lower part of the flap under the other part of the body. I think that's what the diagrams say as well. Other than that, the thickness and paper size shouldn't be much of a problem.
Alright, I'll finish it, if I'm not too embarrassed about the result I'll put up a picture!
I've never heard of MC but I've just now looked into it. Would you mind giving me a brief explanation of how it's used and what it's for? People talk about resizing, but I'm not completely sure what they mean by that.
Mycelium

Post by Mycelium »

bethnor wrote:
Mycelium wrote:This is a picture of my work so far:

just fyi, this ant is very doable with ordinary kami. it looks great with a 7" precut square, but if you're new, 10" is a good starting point.
I've got some 6.89"/17.5cm kami so ill give it a go. I tend to think complex model = big paper. Thanks for your input :)
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

using larger sheets for complex models is in general a good principal. nothing in that book, however, needs anything more than 35 cm.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Mycelium wrote:I've never heard of MC but I've just now looked into it. Would you mind giving me a brief explanation of how it's used and what it's for? People talk about resizing, but I'm not completely sure what they mean by that.
http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4578
^This topic has a lot of information on MC. I'm not sure exactly where the info you're looking for is, but I guarantee it's somewhere in there.

Also, I second Bethnor's comment about the size of paper needed for models in that book. A few years ago, I did the scorpion pretty easily from ~20cm paper.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr