Construction Paper or others

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Dre313dog

Construction Paper or others

Post by Dre313dog »

I have construction paper, signature paper, and print paper. I haven't got any tissue or foil or any other kind yet. Does anyone have any suggestions or diagrams for the paper. Like wet folding or just keeping it simple for the construction paper or the signature paper. I do most of my folding w/ print paper to learn the folds, Just an Intermediate trying to get better to complex. Would Love any advice TY! :lol: :mrgreen:
idooi56

Re: Construction Paper or others

Post by idooi56 »

Why don't you make tissue foil? It's cheaper and perfect for high intermediate and complex models like Kamiya's models.
Dre313dog

Post by Dre313dog »

Thanks 4 the reply soon I'll adventure that way. Just trying to find more ways to use the paper I have TY again. :D
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

The general rule is: the thinner the paper, the more complex (more layers on top of each other) you can make with it. You might want try bakingpaper. The stuff you put in the oven. It does not fold great, but it is cheap and very thin. Takes some getting used too because it kind of slides. Good for practise. Still tissue foil or double tissue is the best option. But it costs a bit more and you have too make it yourself.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
Dre313dog

Post by Dre313dog »

TY rood do you mean wax paper Im a try making tissue foil soonTY
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Not sure about waxpaper. You buy it in a box of sheets or a roll. Thin white or brown, almost translucent. It is kind of slippery when you fold it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
al-black

Post by al-black »

roodborst wrote:Not sure about waxpaper. You buy it in a box of sheets or a roll. Thin white or brown, almost translucent. It is kind of slippery when you fold it.
It's also called parchment paper.
Dre313dog

Post by Dre313dog »

OK heard of it TY will try to get some
Dre313dog

Post by Dre313dog »

Has anyone used the brown kraft wrapping paper? Image not my work
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

The "baking paper" that others have referred to is generally called parchment paper in the US. It is not wax paper, but rather paper that is used to line a baking pan when you are baking something in the oven. It is available in any supermarket. It works pretty well for folding, but is hard to finish. Models that require a lot of shaping once they are folded are generally do not turn out that great in my opinion.
Dre313dog

Post by Dre313dog »

TY 4 Advice
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

construction paper Would be over 130 gsm but generally sourced From areas where they removed alot OF Trees To build offices Or homes...it IS only suitable therefoe for models like ciphers,letters And numbers,,simple kusudamas Or sonobe,,cubes,,3d modulars ,,paper planes And simple folds.. origami.clothes And shoes you can cut To The size OF money dollars Or euros And build models That way
Dre313dog

Post by Dre313dog »

TY 4 Advice
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Yes, I have tried kraft paper and I like it very much.
I also recomend tracing paper, because it's cheap and thin.
I too use printer paper for rough drafts and stuff, and I have found that it wet folds very poorly, and is often too small, but otherwise works just fine.
I've only used construction paper once for a model of Baby Groot with a woody texture. I noticed that the paper can barely keep the shape of limbs or desired crinkles, but wet folding is very effective. However, it takes a long time to dry and I don't think I'll ever use it again.
But yeah, good luck!
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Here's a model of Brian Chan's leaf katydid from tracing paper: