Cotton-Linen paper -- Redux

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
CharlesWallace

Cotton-Linen paper -- Redux

Post by CharlesWallace »

Greetings, all.

I would like to rephrase a question I posed a couple of weeks ago in the hope that it might garner some feedback and/or suggestions.

I am looking for paper that has similar (let your imagination loose on this one) crease-friendly, durability, and thickness of paper money? (And what great texture.) We all know how well that takes to folding enumerable origami models, yes? Linen and Cotton play well together...

But my question--and it seems to be a thorny one: Were can I find something like it that comes in sufficient size to allow for fairly large squares to work with? (Preferably 10x10 or larger.) Yes, I can fall back on parchment or vellum, but I'd still appreciate any input folks might have on this.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can help then you deserve being inducted into The Order of the Platinum Bone Folder.

Fold well, fold often,
CharlesWallace
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Cotton-Linen paper -- Redux

Post by origami_8 »

My guess would be that the lack of answers comes because no one knows such a paper in specific. There are however a couple of handmade papers that you might like to try out. One problem with those papers however is that they come in inconsistent qualities. So even if you find one you like you might not be able to get the exact same again.
For Origami the three most known brands are Origamido, O-Gami and John Gerard. From the first and last you can find small quantities at https://www.origami-shop.com/en/origami ... 5_657.html
Apart from that I would recommend you, what I recommend for everyone, to order a discovery pack and try out what papers you like. https://www.origami-shop.com/en/origami ... 7-827.html
Lastly I've been experimenting with painting paper recently and during that process I've come to love Japanese Calligraphy paper. It is thinner than paper money but I really like its folding properties.

If you don't find what you are looking for there is another option that needs some time, patience and money: You could start to make your own paper, or order a special batch to be made for you.

By the way, I deleted your other post, we don't need two identical ones.
CharlesWallace

Post by CharlesWallace »

Origami_8:

Thank you for your response and suggestions. These are directions I will probably need to take.

I should mention that the very thin, 75% cotton/25% linen paper with that delightful "feel" is available in sizes larger than the stationary and business correspondence sizes in which they most commonly (and commercially) appear for most of us. Unfortunately, my research seems to suggest if you want it you may have to order it from out of the country and in sufficiently large rolls to warrant a fork-lift to move it about. It seems to be used a lot as part of the printing process for international currency (or similar high-value applications).

I checked: It is cost-prohibitive in this quantity and a forklift will not fit through my studio door unless approaching it at high speed. Oh well.

So, thank you again for giving me some alternatives to follow up on. I will report back with any successes I have.

Fold often,
CharklesWallace
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

I don't know if MC would work with paper money well or at all. But if it did, you might be able to MC some dollar bills together to get a big sheet...

Just a thought.
steingar

Post by steingar »

Tankoda wrote:I don't know if MC would work with paper money well or at all. But if it did, you might be able to MC some dollar bills together to get a big sheet...

Just a thought.
US dollars already have quite a bit of sizing in them and wet fold very well. I am somewhat unsurprised that the paper used to make the currency of numerous nations isn't easily obtained by private citizens.
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

But at least Sipho Mabona found a way to get some, because he folded locusts out of large uncut-dollar-bill sheets.