TANT paper rips - John Montroll's Dragon

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
bvais

TANT paper rips - John Montroll's Dragon

Post by bvais »

I'm trying to make Montroll's western dragon using 6x6 Tant papers. Everything's fine up until I have to make the crease along the dragon's spine, when the paper rips mainly because by then the dragon is pretty thick so bending along the spine puts a lot of strain on the paper.
Is there any way around this? Most likely using an 8x8 would solve it, but was wondering if others found another solution.

Tnx!
Baltorigamist

Re: TANT paper rips - John Montroll's Dragon

Post by Baltorigamist »

I'm not familiar with the model, but I think your paper is probably too small and thick. Tant paper isn't the best for more complex models (at least from my limited experience), so you might want to try something like biotope--maybe about 25cm or so.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You could try moistening the paper prior to the step or even prior to folding.
Unfortunately Tant is very weak and rips easily on such steps. If possible I would switch to a more suitable paper, but if Tant is all you have, you could try the wet-folding approach.
craycraycraw

Post by craycraycraw »

I use standard origami 10x10" paper for his models, and they never rip. Try foil or wax paper, because those two almost never rip.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

You can strengthen your tant (or any paper) by pretreating it with mc, or painting it first using acrylics. It is not foolproof but it does help the paper from ripping.
steingar

Post by steingar »

Not every paper is suitable for every project.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

steingar wrote:Not every paper is suitable for every project.

tant would probably work fine for this model (which is very doable with kami), just not 6", which is going to make it too thick. two options are to tape the midline, and/or not do such a sharp fold (i.e., more of a U-shape, so you don't put so much stress on the middle crease), generally principles that help as a whole with thicker models that split.