Paper - Preferred folding material

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.

What material do you prefer to fold with?

kami
19%
foil (tissue/American/Japanese)
41%
heavy paper, wet folded
6%
normal copy paper
25%
other (plastic, metal, flour tortillas)
10%

Total votes: 574

Darksoul

Post by Darksoul »

I love using 42 gram tracing paper, 32 gram glasiesse, and my prefered folding paper is manifold.

Glasiesse it's really thin, really strong and see throu, takes creases very well and it's shaped easily; but to make sturdy models it requieres resizing, I'm not a huge fan of resizing but it's there.

On my personal opinion I think that tissue-foil or foil is a horrible material for origami, it's not that thin, it wrinkles way to easy and...it's not even paper!! ergo the word origami does not apply to models made with this material, it's metal so it's more like sculpting.
Whatever
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

You can 'fold' with foil, it may not be paper but when it's paperbacked or tissue foil it is. Foil is great and because you can sculpt it, it is easy to correct mistakes. Also it reduces the need to wet fold, you just soften the folds made!

Foil is GREAT!!!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

~folder~of~paper~ wrote:Foil is GREAT!!!
Up to the point when it falls onto the floor. Wetfolded models just bounce off without harm.

Mistakes in foil are a bit hard to correct, particularly when reversing the sense of the foil. Mark Kennedy puts it best - "Foil doesn't forgive and foil doesn't forget".
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

Woohoo! Mulberry paper shipment arrived today! Time to make some more tissue foil!

[img]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6028 ... wp2ub7.jpg[/img]
Tissue foil -- the best thing since sliced bread.
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

The topmost sheet's texture/design looks awesome!
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

Yeah, I gotta decide what to make out of it. I'm thinking maybe wolves, elephants, or spiders. Open to suggestions.
phil

Post by phil »

4sigma wrote:Yeah, I gotta decide what to make out of it. I'm thinking maybe wolves, elephants, or spiders. Open to suggestions.
I've used that paper before, it works well by it's self without any treatment. I folded a lot of of insects from it about two years ago. Here are some pictures from my old photo gallery.
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

The paper is crisp and strong. I can see how you could use it even without foil backing. But it seems it might not hold its form on stuff like insect legs or other detail. Am curious if the models folded from the paper alone have "held up" well.

It's wonderfully thin paper, however. Foil would add a lot of unwanted width to it. Maybe I'm about to get talked into learning how to size it with MC. :shock:

BTW, your insect gallery is awesome, phil. I particularly like your result on Lang's long-necked seed bug and stag beetle. I haven't summoned the courage to try those yet. But I do have Lang's Origami Insects and their Kin so perhaps I shall soon.

Back to the paper, the pattern feels a bit "large" to me for insects. Though that's perhaps just a matter of taste and aesthetics.
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

4sigma wrote:.. I haven't summoned the courage to try those yet. But I do have Lang's Origami Insects and their Kin so perhaps I shall soon.

Umm.... if you can fold Lang's Black Forest Cuckoo... I would think you have more than enough courage to fold anything from Origami Insects and their Kin. :)
origamibrent814

Post by origamibrent814 »

I am thinking about trying wet folding. I folded David Derudas shell,
dry and shaped it wet with elephant hide. I heard that it is difficult to precrease when wet so I was wondering if anyone could explain how they wet fold and what paper they use.

Thanks
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Here's the relevant threads:

viewtopic.php?p=11963
viewtopic.php?t=1196

Your questions are partly answered there already, but feel free to post any further queries in those threads if what's there isn't sufficient!
origamibrent814

Post by origamibrent814 »

1. what kind of paper is good and commonly availabe for a beginner at wet folding?

2. Where do you get yours from?

3. Could someone post a video of how they wet their paper?
theorigamist

Post by theorigamist »

Has anybody ever bought the rolls of foil wrapping paper from uwrap?

http://www.uwrap.com/product_info.php?c ... ucts_id=51

Is it any good for folding?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

I tried it a while back, and wrote a post about it earlier - I'll just quote it here for convenience:
wolf wrote:I finally got around to trying the foil from UWrap; it was less promising than I'd expected. It's still too thick to fold really complex stuff from, and it has a tendency to split around thick edges. It still works better than American foil though. It's also nice, big and sturdy, making it suitable for intermediate display models.
That was back in 2003-2004 or so, which means I'm assuming they haven't changed their paper/foil manufacturer in the meantime.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Recently on my trip to Vancouver, not only did I get to meet Joseph Wu in person, but I bought tons and tons of paper! I spent $56.59 (Canadian) on paper at Dragon's Den (Penticton), Murata Art (Vancouver), Paper-Ya (Vancouver) and Vancouver Science World :D :D You gotta love paper!

Also, I recently found that foil is my favorite folding material. And that I must take a trip to the Japanese Paper Place in Toronto!
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs