Crumpled paper (vog paper)

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
bethnor
Buddha

Re: Crumpled paper (vog paper)

Post by bethnor »

Fluffy wrote: I don't have a flickr and don't plan to have one anytime soon. I can email you the picture, but that's about all I can do.
if you're gonna be cryptic and thereby encourage people to spend lots of money on a product that's probably really just average, you should go through the trouble of getting a *free* flickr account.
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

bethnor wrote:i'm sure nicolas gets it from the manufacturer, slater.
In fact not. The only way for me to have these papers is to ask a friend to buy them at full price in asia shops. And I pay more my friend for this job. And I had to pay someone else to fold each sheet (because can't send as roller). That's explain the price !
About the defects of some colors (hole or not square), what I could do because I receive all the black and red sheets like that. it will be a pity to burn them isn'it ? So as it's a tiny defect, I prefer to indicate it and if one folder doesn't like that, he doesn't buy the sheet.

For the shipping fees, again if you choose the low cost service, as announced, the average delivery is 3-4 weeks, sometime only 2 weeks, some times 6 weeks and in very rare case, 3 month depending of your local post office and custom. Of course, you can have your sheets in Day+4 to Day+10 using priority postal service.

Nicolas
http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Where i am, i usually get orders from your shop within about 1-2 weeks, but once, it took over 3 months because of a customs screw up. i think i already mentioned that, though.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Ronn55555

Post by Ronn55555 »

Mine just arrived today. I think there is no need for glue or methylcellulose when using this paper.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75596271@N07/
The process of making is the point of it. The object looks good if the process felt good.
-Paul Jackson
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

Ronn55555 wrote:Mine just arrived today. I think there is no need for glue or methylcellulose when using this paper.
why do people insist on this nonsense, when VOG folders HAVE OUTRIGHT STATED they used glue? pictures OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. this paper is expensive from this source, and if people are going to encourage others to drop down that kind of cash, BACK IT UP.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

what is wrong with using MC?
i see no problem with it personally.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

time to be rude. the attention span of many posters here is just plain atrocious.
bethnor wrote: you are perhaps missing the point. i did not say that glue was not fine. the OP was very eager to get his paws on some VOG paper. i am telling you that it is not necessarily that much better than ordinary kami, and it is not some kind of panacea of paper, and in order to get the final product that you see in the flickr albums, you will need to do some final modifications. if you are okay with that, then crumpled paper is fine. if not, it may not be worth you time to plop down however much origami-shop is asking.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

unlike many posters in this thread, i will put my money where my mouth is. here is an ancient dragon folded from 65 cm of crumpled paper from origami-shop. you can see this is very far away from the model posted further upstream. you can see that the paper is splaying very badly, with the layers falling apart. the model will not hold its shape on its own. very likely, in order to get the thinness of the horns and claws that you see in the other photo, you will have to individually apply and shape with MC. you could probably achieve a similar result wet-folding, but you can guess this would present an enormous challenge with the horns.

once again: i have no problem with glue, wet-folding, wiring or any of it. i am simply warning anyone who wants to plop down lots of money for this product that you SHOULD NOT EXPECT TO GET THE WONDERFUL RESULTS YOU SEE RIGHT OUT OF THE ENVELOPE. YOU WILL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING TO MAKE IT LOOK THAT GOOD. IF YOU ARE OKAY WITH THAT THIS PAPER MAY BE FOR YOU, BUT YOU SHOULD TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION BEFORE SPENDING LOTS OF MONEY ON IT.

the amazing thing is, the VOG folders have come on here and said the paper is not that great. they have confessed to using glue. people have posted their own results of VOG paper without adultering, and had similar problems with splaying. but there is this cabal of young posters who want to plug their fingers into their ears and go "nyah nyah nyah nyah."
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

It still turned out good with this paper, but not amazing. i'm not saying this paper is or ever was amazing. I just didn't read the whole thread, and I thought that you were speaking out against mc or glue or wire, etc.
sorry for the confusion.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Ronn55555

Post by Ronn55555 »

I used this paper or my 3rd Attempt. It did not look as bad as the other ancient dragon.
Image Image
I still think is not that bad but its not the best. I was able to shape the horns and claws properly but I did use a little but of Methyl cellulose to prevent the head and tail to pop up.
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75596271@N07/
The process of making is the point of it. The object looks good if the process felt good.
-Paul Jackson
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

is the whole point of this thread that crumpled paper is bad? i might buy some anyway.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

No. It isn't bad. but what Bethnor was trying to tell is that it is hard to achieve a nice result without MC, wire, wetfolding, etc. its just not ready to use right out of the package.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

wire and water i have , but i do not have methyl cellulose (did i spell that right?)
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

its one word, like methylcellulose.
you can get a life time supply for 10$ on dickblick.com
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

GWB origami wrote:is the whole point of this thread that crumpled paper is bad? i might buy some anyway.
i know it's too difficult to read the whopping TWO pages of text that precede this one. it's rife with jargon from quantum physics, differential equations, multivariable calculus, and genetics, entirely too much for the lay person to understand.