How to make smooth double tissue and tissue foil

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
phillipcurl

How to make smooth double tissue and tissue foil

Post by phillipcurl »

I got asked (in a way...kinda) to make a tutorial on how to make smooth tissue foil or double tissue. This is how I make it, it takes more time than just gluing two sheets together. Expect to spend 10 minutes + making one (yes, ONE) sheet.
What you will need:
Tissue paper
Spray glue (i recommend the non bleeding kind)
Smooth surface (I use a smooth plywood wood table with newsprint glued to the top)
rotary cutter and mat or scissors
Iron
Ironing surface
spray starch

OR
Methylcellulose
1 inch thick wooden dowel (old broomstick works great)
*optional if you want to make TF* foil

Ok...so now after you've gathered all the materials, lets begin.
Part 1:
First, get your tissue paper. Then lightly spray some glue onto the dowel, and stick one sheet to it, and roll it onto it. It helps greatly if you stick the bottom of the sheet to the dowel first. Set that aside for now. Next, spray the surface lightly with glue, and stick the other sheet onto that. Make sure its smooth.
Now, go crazy with the spray glue on that sheet. Soak it. Now, unroll about 2 inches off the dowel. Carefully stick it to the other paper, lining up the edges. You only have one shot at this. Unroll the rest onto the other sheet. Let this dry for about 5 minutes. If you are doing TF, then put some of that before rolling the sheet onto the other and and apply glue to the foil.
Part 2:
Note: If you have MC, just skip this step and put that on the paper instead. Also, if you are making tissue foil, skip this step also.
We are now going to iron your paper with spray starch, which gives it an interesting texture (almost like leather) and makes it crisper. Be very careful on this step, and if you iron too slow or too fast, it will make the paper warp and buckle. I recommend the heat you would use to iron silk. Spray the paper with spray starch, and let that soak in for a second or two. Iron it out going slowly and carefully.
Congratulations! you can now use an awesome very of double tissue!
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
dragon

Re: How to make smooth double tissue and tissue foil

Post by dragon »

Wouldn't that ruin the iron/ burn the paper?
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

no. I do it all the time with different types of paper to get wrinkles out.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
ForceFold

Post by ForceFold »

Thanks philipcurl! I have attepted to make my own double tissue before and it did not turn out too great. Do you have any tips of how to precisely get one paper on top the other because it took two people to do that part for me. I'm also wondering if you can tell me what store you buy your paper materials at.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Sure. I buy mine from a store called hobbylobby near my house, its about $5 for a pack of 100 pre cut squares.
Like I said, what I do is roll the square onto a dowel or broomstick then pull off about 2 inches, then you just lay it down carefully over the corners of the other one. then just unroll the roll. It will never be 100% exactly over the square but it will be pretty close, just get a straightedge and cut off the excess with a circular cutter. Easy :D
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
ForceFold

Post by ForceFold »

Sorry :oops: my eyes just kind of skipped over that part. Theres a hobby lobby by my house too along with a couple other craft stores. I'll try making paper again, but I'll also have to buy some more spray glue and stuff. I'm not a big fan of tissue foil but i might try it with this recipe. Thank you a lot I now have a good idea of how to get the paper almost perfect. :D
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Your welcome. Do you happen to live in Newnan, GA?
theres about 3 craft stores near my house o.O
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
ForceFold

Post by ForceFold »

No sorry I live by Oklahoma City
fncll

Post by fncll »

Interesting tip. You are making yours just as I do except I'd never tried the spray starch and iron technique. Next time for sure!
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

ForceFold wrote:No sorry I live by Oklahoma City
strange...it sounded like you lived near where i live.
fncll wrote:Interesting tip. You are making yours just as I do except I'd never tried the spray starch and iron technique. Next time for sure!
Thanks!
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Illya

Post by Illya »

Nice, I will this method. Something I do differntly is that i put tissue paper going in two directions so that the fibers of the paper are at 90deg. In my opinion this makes the paper stronger. If you have rectangular tissue paper the edges will be wasted.