Best paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
malachi

Re: Best paper

Post by malachi »

phillipcurl wrote:oh, so for each model or artist, there is a different type of paper thats good for it.

I know for a fact that most of Eric Joisel's models are best made with elephant hide or just thick paper wet folded, so is that kind of what your leading to?
Yes, something like that. But I wouldn't even categorize things by designer. I believe that some of Joisel's later work, such as his musicians, was done with foil backed paper. If you look though the pictures on Robert Lang's site, you will find a variety of different papers used to good effect depending on the model and the desired presentation. Some newer books, in particular the ones published by Passion Origami, have suggestions for paper size and type for each model.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

i was talking mainly about his earlier works.
I especially like Kamiya's works, the paper he used. He has a very good choice of paper in a lot of his models
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
jewishdan18

Post by jewishdan18 »

malachi wrote:
JohnsOrigami wrote:You can't just order thousand of sheets...
Don't you know that it's hand made and only made by two guys?
Actually, I believe you can, with some limitations. I seem to recall that at one time Origamido Studio took custom orders, but it was fairly expensive and the entire batch would be the same color/type.

I can't find information on that, but there is a page still up that outlines paying $500 for a day-long paper making workshop. I don't know what the expected yield for that would be; I am sure it would vary wildly based on the thickness, size, duo, etc.
http://www.origamido.com/what-we-do/ori ... g-workshop
I did this in the summer of 2010, and made about 120 16"x20" very thin sheets in yellow, red, and all kinds of oranges in between (also some dark red). I had my sister with me, who helped pull sheets and streamline the process, so you might get less on your own. It was a lot of fun; I highly recommend it.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

$500 is still a lot of money, though, but its worth it if you can make that much paper.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
malachi

Post by malachi »

phillipcurl wrote:$500 is still a lot of money, though, but its worth it if you can make that much paper.
For me, the cost of the workshop would likely be smaller than the cost of travel, room, and board. If you're not careful, you could end up making paper that is more expensive than just buying it from origami-shop. On the plus side, you would have more input as to the composition and qualities, but less variety in terms of color and content.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Haverhill MA is only about 8 or nine hours from where I live. I'm thinking about just making a whole trip there for a week, and doing that as a side thing.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
malachi

Post by malachi »

I am beginning to suspect that your location information here on this forum is inaccurate.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Your right. I live about 15 minutes outside of Newnan. I just don't have good judgement of distance.
How far is it from where you are, Tennessee is about 2 hours from here, or less.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
origamiguy

Post by origamiguy »

LMAO - You are 5 hours from Malachi and 20 hours from Origamido Studios, driving that is.
Cheers,
Brian K. Webb
http://www.eorigamipublishing.com
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

strange, my family lives in Tennessee, yet its only a two hour drive from here. oh well :L
maybe one year..
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
malachi

Post by malachi »

Brian has the advantage of knowing that I live near Nashville, which is another couple of hours from the southern edge of middle Tennessee.

But we digress... back to the topic at hand. You might find the recently started paper review series posted at http://www.happyfolding.com/ and on Origami USA's The Fold. They should help give you some ideas as to what different kinds of paper or good for and where to find them. So far they have reviewed elephant hide, Origamido, stardream, crumpled (VOG) paper, tant, printer paper, and Japanese foil. Each review has photos of different styles of model folded from the paper being reviewed so you can compare them and get a sense of how well they work for a given application.

http://www.happyfolding.com/paper-reviews_introduction
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I will go and read that. Thanks.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
smosher

Post by smosher »

phillipcurl wrote:strange, my family lives in Tennessee, yet its only a two hour drive from here. oh well :L
maybe one year..
Get USPS Large Postage Envelopes. THEY ARE TEH BEST! the paper is easy to fold and is crisp and stiff :D If dye is applied to it or the fibers, it is very reliable. The paper looks thick, bit is actually very light and definitely does not tear easily. The fibers are long and give an awesome backlight effect. The paper is near perfect and the fibers can be used to make some of the strongest paper around. Definitely better than most O-gami and Origamido papers. CHEAP TOO, I got mine FOR FREE.
fncll

Post by fncll »

Are you talking about Tyvek envelopes or the plain paper envelopes?
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

i'll have to try that, i never really thought it it. what is the largest size? most of the folds i do need over a 35cm paper.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip