Satoshi Kamiyas black kite in Tanteidan 24

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
BradBlankenship

Satoshi Kamiyas black kite in Tanteidan 24

Post by BradBlankenship »

I have a question about step 63-65. It looks like a normal sink but it shows a diagram in step 63 that doesn’t collapse like you would think it should. The mountain and valley folds are different than normal. And if you collapse it like you think it should (assuming it’s just an error on the diagrams) later in folding the sink gets in the way. Please let me know if you have any insite on this.
fraser

Re: Satoshi Kamiyas black kite in Tanteidan 24

Post by fraser »

This guy reads it like you and I did up to the same point. Sidenote: at step 81 he landmarks differently from the diagram. He figures out the sunk triangle problem and demonstrates the corrected folding sequence, inverting the triangle into the flap you folded down in step 61.

From this I infer that the Japanese instructions in the diagram say something along the lines of "pop the little pyramid into the flap you just pulled down".
bethnor
Buddha

Re: Satoshi Kamiyas black kite in Tanteidan 24

Post by bethnor »

lol sorry i only now saw this.

generally speaking a useful tip when looking at "crease pattern" type instructions, is make sure your mountains are mountains (i.e., the paper is going away from you on either side of the crease) and your valleys are valleys (i.e., the paper is going towards you on either side of the crease). they mean it!!!! if you just "look" at the diagrams, it looks like an open sink, but if you study the "crease pattern" instructions in step 63, it is actually a closed sink. if it was an open sink, you would see the diagonal lines in step 3 demarcated as valleys both and the horizontal creases designated as valleys. if you treat it like an open sink (which is intuitive looking at the diagrams, and easier), you will end up with the problem op had. so, the instructions are correct, but it's easy to misunderstand.