please Review my Diagrams

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Tavin

please Review my Diagrams

Post by Tavin »

Hello dear Folders,
I think we should have a collections thread in which people can show their recently diagrammed work and ask for reviews. Diagramming is complicated and like correcting a text the authors often overlooks mistakes.

I'll start in the next post
Tavin

Origami Frog Diagrams

Post by Tavin »

I recently diagrammed the traditional frog and I really would appreciate it if some of you could take a look and say what I can improve:
Frog Diagramm here
origami_8
Administrator

Re: please Review my Diagrams

Post by origami_8 »

Step 1 fold and unfold.
Step 2 fold the sides to the middle line instead of folding in half again.

I think it is very confusing that you show the outcome below the step fold. At first I thought you would cut it in half and continue with the two parts.
All the steps from step 15 on are missing arrows. Even if it is clear what to do there should always be an arrow showing what to do.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Hmm... I agree. THe folders must be able to see what fold or what type of folds should they make. THe arrows are what makes the folders see where they should land the paper into or else they'll get confused and make wrong folds. Please redraw the diagrams more carefully which includes all the arrows from step 15 onward.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

One more remark: You should also add step numbers. If anyone runs into problems the usual way is to refer to the step number. If there isn't any it could lead to confusion as different people might count differently.
Tavin

Post by Tavin »

thank you for your feedback.
origami_8 wrote:Step 1 fold and unfold.
Step 2 fold the sides to the middle line instead of folding in half again.
why? I don't see the benefit of this step over the way I do it.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

This way you already have a reference line to fold the sides to the middle in step 15 and don't need to guesstimate. Furthermore the model is more symmetrical what is always a good thing.
valerite

Post by valerite »

Your diagrams would benefit from thicker, easier to see arrows, and larger diagrams. Since the background line isn't all that elegant, leaving most of the bottom of the page empty, maybe try shrinking the page size and squeezing in your diagrams more to fill the space completely. Also, you could try making the steps in the beginning more 3D. The double diagrams feature, showing the outcome, is not really necessary in such a simple model. I'd save it for more complex 3D steps. And why are the lines on the last step so much thicker?

I have my own diagrams to show off, I want to know if they are high quality enough to be published ever.
Image is too big to post here, so I'll put in the link to the first page. All pages are in the album on my flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124886212 ... kbV-nUj1ER
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

@valerite:
Your diagrams are looking good to me. I have to admit that I didn't fold them but just read through them.
Two things I noticed though. First, your name isn't written anywhere. From what I understand it is your own original model, as such it should also have your name on it to allow people to credit your work.
Second, it is common to write existing crease instead of pre-existing, although probably both are correct.