Making crease from point to edge

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Avatrin

Making crease from point to edge

Post by Avatrin »

Hi

I am new to origami and am trying to make this rose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGDLf1 ... =6&list=WL

The issue I am having starts around 2:16 when we are shown to make a crease from a given point to a point on the edge. I know where the crease has to be, but I am just not able to do that correctly (I always miss both points by at least a centimeter). Is there some trick to this? Or, just practice?
Andre-4

Re: Making crease from point to edge

Post by Andre-4 »

Avatrin wrote:Hi

I am new to origami and am trying to make this rose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGDLf1 ... =6&list=WL

The issue I am having starts around 2:16 when we are shown to make a crease from a given point to a point on the edge. I know where the crease has to be, but I am just not able to do that correctly (I always miss both points by at least a centimeter). Is there some trick to this? Or, just practice?
Do you have a larger screen?..it's really hard to follow tutorials on a any thing smaller than 6 x 4 ..You miss alot of details..even with diagrams literally having to squint to see what is going on.
I find with videos just press pause alot and use a screenshot app to capture the sleight of hand when they style on you..
Alot of experienced folders do this..when they skip 10 stages on the drawing because he already understands the action.
Avatrin

Post by Avatrin »

Well, I've watched the video on a big screen. Still, I do not know how to make that particular crease accurately; Every other crease in that tutorial exploits some geometric symmetry which makes it relatively easy for me to understand how to make it. That's not the case with that crease. So, I simply do not know how to proceed.
MotherOfThree

Post by MotherOfThree »

I see the problem. It's in fact difficult to make out the reference point for this step in the video, but in ~3:42 you can see it quite well. These crease lines connect the corners of the central diamond with the horizontal center lines, that means if you locate from the lower diamond corner, you should crease to the right hand end of your horizontal middle line, and so on in 90° symmetry. I hope I could help you, and by the way: welcome to the forum!
Avatrin

Post by Avatrin »

MotherOfThree wrote:I see the problem. It's in fact difficult to make out the reference point for this step in the video, but in ~3:42 you can see it quite well. These crease lines connect the corners of the central diamond with the horizontal center lines, that means if you locate from the lower diamond corner, you should crease to the right hand end of your horizontal middle line, and so on in 90° symmetry. I hope I could help you, and by the way: welcome to the forum!
Thank you!

Well, I know where the crease is supposed to be. The issue I am having is making it accurately. I mean, in the case of the earlier creases, I can use the paper edges and other crease as reference to make the crease relatively accurate. However, I cannot do that with this particular crease. At least, I cannot see how to do that.