Printing Crease Patterns

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Geckonavajo

Printing Crease Patterns

Post by Geckonavajo »

I've seen some people print crease patterns onto a large origami paper, and was wondering how they do that. Do they have to buy a huge printer, or is there a store that does it?
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Printing Crease Patterns

Post by origami_8 »

Do you really mean printed (because I don't see the point in doing this) or do you mean scored?
If you mean printed, I guess that you can take your paper and file (CP) to a local copy shop and ask there to let them print it for you.
If you mean scored it is a little more complicated. In that case you will need to buy a machine. There are several options. I think the cheapest are the Silhouette Cameo 2 and the Brother ScanNCut, but there are several other brands as well. Ekaterina Lukasheva recently wrote a nice article about pre-scoring machines: https://origamiusa.org/thefold/article/ ... emystified
And another one about how to use them: https://blog.kusudama.me/2017/10/07/vin ... r-origami/
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

I've done this several times with success, any local copy shop can print out a very large sheet with cp for less than a dollar. If you are in the state's, staples, fed ex, office depot etc can all do it. The paper isn't very nice but it's good enough for test folds. You can throw the files on a thumb drive or email them to the store.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

If you live near a MakerSpace or some other DIY collective, they might have the machinery and expertise to help you, although many such places require you to pay membership fees in order to use their equipment.