Umulius Rectangulum

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Mental4

Post by Mental4 »

Brimstone wrote:Maybe you need to make sure you fold the ends in a way that they have the exact size and shape so that when they are introduced into that second end, they don't damage it.
With the two parts finished, they should be exactly the same size, no? And one has to fit completely inside the other unless I understand the instructions wrong, so wouldn't it be a reasonable expectation for some stress by shoving one end into the other when they're the same size?

My fifths may have been sloppy, I'm going to try this one again and be more precise with that step.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

They have to be the same size because one lets say you mad the two units out of two different colors (lets say black and white). The long end on the black unit goes into the short end of the white unit, and the long end of the white unit goes into the short end of the black unit. So no, its best to stay with two pieces of paper that are the same size
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Mental4

Post by Mental4 »

Maybe this will make more sense.

So, my folds were precise this time and I'm trying to put it together but if I keep pushing at this point it's going to crimp up before it hits the corner. You can see that the edges of the small ends are already starting to fold inward. I also tried this with some card stock and the stuff is just too thick to get even as far as the picture.

What can I possibly be doing wrong? I see pictures of of children that have made these and it's starting to annoy me.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

It looks fine to me (even thought you're supposed to put the long ends in the short ends)
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Mental4

Post by Mental4 »

And here I was hoping for some dark secret that would make this slide together effortlessly. I think part of my problem is that I'm making it so small.

The pictures I've seen of these partially assembled show the longer sides as seamless, which I thought meant to put the smaller ends inside of the larger ones. The improved instructions by Anna seem to imply the small ends going inside the larger ones too.

Final result:

[img]http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7707/dsc01979smallbm0.th.jpg[/img]
sphere360

Re: Umulius Rectangulum

Post by sphere360 »

I know the topic is outdated, but I think it's better than opening a new one.
This is my variation of the rectangulum:

And some advice how to make precise folds:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-pr ... y-Carving/

In the original diagram there are some missing dimensions, but if you look at it more detailed, then you will them find out or here is the solution:
horizontally: |<-2->|<-5->|<-3->|<-3->|<-1->|
vertically: |<-1->|<-1->|<-1->|<-1->|<-1->| or 1x1 squares
mbub

Re: Umulius Rectangulum

Post by mbub »

Hi, I know this is an old topic, but I am just now trying to fold the 6-piece dollar bill umulius rectangulum and am not having any luck with the final assembly.
The pieces do not seem to want to fit together through the openings, and the final product ends up looking very squashed and deformed.
I am following the original diagram by Thoki Yenn, but I think I might not be getting the vertical divisions right.
If the bill is divided vertically 2-5-3-3-1, that comes out to 14 units, and shouldn't it be 15?
Thanks for any advice.