Michael LaFosse - American Alligator

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

he just responded. you were right. he does seem pretty nice. anyways, he said that he has never divided the paper more than 128
Pixion

Post by Pixion »

Adam wrote:I remember folding this alligator from plain square sheet, without the scales. In my final result the front legs were indeed rather short compared to the rest of the body. Perhaps I didn't shape it properly, but I guess I had a similar problem.

The only thing I can think of is that you have to spend lots of time shaping the model to make the front legs look larger. LaFosse probably intended them to be so short, but he still found a way to make it look good.
I folded this one from a square piece as well and indeed the front legs are very short. Maybe if the model starts off with 128th pleats, it is possible to pull out those front legs. The pleats will locally get shorter but I think that may be invisible.

Or, could this be a case for Lang's Treemaker? Optimize the front legs and take some length off the back legs (they are rather long, so...). Alternatively, the CP of the alligator base can be adjusted. I took a quick shot at it, but went 'too far down the sides' with the front legs..
syribia

Post by syribia »

I finished my third atempt of the 128's version a few days ago.

The solution for the front legs is to pull and unlfod some of the pleats. This way they acquire a right size.