Robert J. Lang - Orchid

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
cjbnc

Post by cjbnc »

I'm stuck on step 27. I can't seem to get the hidden corners loose enough to reverse them. I'll just try again on a larger piece of paper and see if I can work it out.

@einstein :roll: - I reckon I can learn from a book by folding models above my comfort zone. How would you propose someone improve their skills?

edit: thanks to @daydreamer's earlier diagrams, I see that I did the sinks wrong earlier, and that was why the small flaps were not loose. The second try worked it out to completion.

the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

I did not say I am against people improving their skills by folding models above their comfort zone, but considering the price of origami design secrets (where I live, the current price is around US$140), it seems a bit uneconomical to buy a book with that sort of price, when you cannot use it to its full advantage. I would say you should buy books like origami zoo, or the complete book of origami, as these books have mostly, models that are within your folding capabilities, but still have models at the end of book, that can put you outside your comfort zone. Another advantage is that they are less than half the price of origami design secrets. To see examples of these models, have a look at my gallery. (esp. the rabbit and mouse, which are from origami zoo, as well as future models, that could be of interest to you).
cjbnc

Post by cjbnc »

As you well know, ODS is a fairly unique book in that it is probably 3/4ths text and theory and the remaining 1/4th models. I appreciate and quite agree with your evaluation that their are better "bang for your buck" books out there, if your goal is having plans to fold. For myself, my goal was to learn some theory and the book has provided a gold mine at that. I guess what I'm getting at is... yes, it is an expensive book with some tricky models. That should not be thrown up as a barrier to people who are seeking to better understand where the models came from.

I came here looking for guidance on a problem I'd hit and dutifully used the search function. Found this thread with the last post being something telling me, in effect, "to go back and try something easier." That did not help - thus my comment.
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

I agree on your reasoning, but surely that is why I bought this book too? you seem to come to the conclusion that I bought this book only for the models, not the design aspect of it (an aspect of origami that I am highly interested in) and anyway, this forum is supposed to be for helping people to fold models that are challenging for them, and that is only what I was trying to do. So I apologise for putting that post in a way that would discourage you in any way from following what you believe is a way to improve and perfect your origami, as what I have said was only a personal opinion on the economics of origami. So please, don't reply to this post, or any other of my posts on this thread at present.
abnyc

Re: Robert J. Lang - Orchid

Post by abnyc »

Resurrecting this thread, because the perfectionist in me is having problems with the available solutions to step 18. I'm working off the comments here, as well as T. Mori's video tutorial: https://youtu.be/k-UPR_HIyQo?t=15m45s

Is it just me, or is the in-and-out open sink impossible to cleanly fold? Mori seems to resort to an internal crimp just to make it fold flat. If that's the case, then fine, I'll work with the model as it is, but it seems unlike Lang to have such a sloppy, non-mathematical collapse.
Rowel

Post by Rowel »

Please, could you re-upload the images?
Andre-4

Re: buying Books With simpler c.ps

Post by Andre-4 »

cjbnc wrote:As you well know, ODS is a fairly unique book in that it is probably 3/4ths text and theory and the remaining 1/4th models. I appreciate and quite agree with your evaluation that their are better "bang for your buck" books out there, if your goal is having plans to fold. For myself, my goal was to learn some theory and the book has provided a gold mine at that. I guess what I'm getting at is... yes, it is an expensive book with some tricky models. That should not be thrown up as a barrier to people who are seeking to better understand where the models came from.

I came here looking for guidance on a problem I'd hit and dutifully used the search function. Found this thread with the last post being something telling me, in effect, "to go back and try something easier." That did not help - thus my comment.

i agree to start with books That tackle 20 To 30 step models Then progress UP To your 40 -80 which Would be your John Montrolls then YOU Can slip a complex One In between To allieviate boredom...But since YOU like completion Not starting then getting distracted by every nice model on the web,,he should be attempting To guide..alot OF folders have a know-it-all attitude When It somes To videos Or diagrams are the Most helpful Most OF Us have other interests and the quicker YOU can succeed the better
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I don't know if this is still an open question, but the Youtube video is a valid solution for making this sink. I would suggest that you fold the model a few times (I imagine that you're a master of this model by now.), so that you understand how the folds work together. After folding 5 - 10 times, I believe that you'll come up with a sequence for sinking that is more efficient for you to use, but the one in the video is a very general solution to help beginners as well as more advanced folders.

I don't know when Dr. Lang designed this model, but I'm sure the date is documented on his Web site. It looks like one of his older, simpler models to me.