Robert J. Lang - Orchid

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
tchaiky

Post by tchaiky »

hello,
i have some trouble with this model. i'm actually stuck on step 11 :oops: .. the tips of my paper don't meet. i tried folding it a few times, even measuring the lines with a ruler, but still they don't meet. i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.. am i just not accurate enough?
any help would be appreciated, thanks.
if you are happy, i am happy too
Fc1032

Post by Fc1032 »

Sorry everyone, I have the same problem (step 11) with my model too. The flaps don't meet together. Are we supposed to actually make a 45 degree waterbomb collapse or do we follow the crease made according to the diagrams? I can't make the ends meet with the diagram creases

Thanks in advanced (tchaiky and I both need this explanation)

Its okay now, I found out it was a normal 45 degree waterbomb, i just finished step 18 thanks to the previous advice thanks alot!!
jojotoar

Post by jojotoar »

Can someone help me in step 36-37 ??
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

Make sure you make your beginning creases as accurate as possible and where they are supposed to be. I didn't look closely at the diagrams the first time I made the model and didn't align my creases right which messed the model up later. I'll look at the diagrams tonight when I get home and try to help more with 11 and 36-37.
"There are times when hope itself is an act of heroism. So here's to hope, and everyday heroes. " -Jacqueline Carey
I totally just discovered I have a macro function on my camera- I'm lovin it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23352404@N06/sets/
jojotoar

Post by jojotoar »

Thank you so much mrsriggins ! :D
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

I just finished the photo steps for tchaiky and jojotoar. I will upload the pictures tomorrow afternoon so be sure to check back!
"There are times when hope itself is an act of heroism. So here's to hope, and everyday heroes. " -Jacqueline Carey
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

Okie Dokely let's do this.

Step 10. Pinch the three lines into mountain folds.

10a. As you pinch the middle fold push upward and the triangle at the top will naturally form a valley fold along its base and fold up.

10b. Press lightly on the sides after the triangle is folded up and the niddle part you were pinching should now be its own flap so fold that over to the right. Repeat on the back

Step 10 completed

Fold the left flap over to the right.

Make a valley fold on the bottom corner of the flap that you just folded over so that is matches the flap that lies beneath it.

The two flaps

Fold the flap back to the left and change the valley crease you made into two mountain creases, one for each side of the flap, and sink that area into the model.

Now if you lift up the middle flap you can see the area that you sunk into the model and there a little bit hanging over the middle. Fold that over so you can see the middle of the middle flap clealy. This will make folding easier ad that little bit will block you from moving the flaps around.

Completed. Now repeat this sink process on the remaining three flaps.
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

And jojotoar... this is a little bit harder to photograph because the model is 3d at this point and I had to hold the model with one hand and try to take clear straight shots with the other so hopefully you can make sense of this....

So at step 36 we have 6 flaps (not including the curved flaps on the bottom), five of them are folded to the front as petals and one is left sticking out the back as the stem. Well the stem bit has two flaps hanging down and step 36 is simply tucking the extra bits up into the stem. So take the blue denoted area and fold up into the red denoted area. (sorry bout the red line in the picture, flickr hates me and made it too big after I saved the changes.)

Step 37 is narrowing the stem even further by pinching it in half (mountain fold) . The fold branches out towards the top of the stem where it meets the model.

In the process of pinching...

top view after the pinch, mine is still kind of fat but you should have a flat and narrow 'stem' flap here.

The other part of step 37 which I forgot to take a picture of is to fold the two small cup flaps on the bottom rounded part to the sides.

Here's my smushed and lopsided orchid. I highly recommend wet folding for the final petal placement and securing them with MC. My only disappointment with this model is that I have not received a pleasing outcome unless wet folding the details with MC.

Roddypiper

still stuck

Post by Roddypiper »

Hi guys gosh I was having so much trouble with this one. I'm still stuck on part 24 though, for the life of me can't figure out exactly what the fold is. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
maniok

orchid robert lang

Post by maniok »

can someone make a video how to fold this orchid and place it to Youtube?
missaimeeee

Post by missaimeeee »

could anyone tell me what the book is called that has the instructions to make this model in it.
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

It's in Origami Design Secrets by Robert Lang
missaimeeee

Post by missaimeeee »

thankyou kindly!
jesse2884

Post by jesse2884 »

i've been stuggling with this orchid for weeks :(
can someone please make a tutorial and put it on you tube? b/c i suck at reading these diagrams haha
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

Roddypiper,
in step 24 you can just treat this fold as a regular reverse fold, ignoring the triangular creases in the middle of the outside edge, and just press down on the inside until the model lies flat. admittedly, it will be a bit scrunched up inside, but this makes no difference to the finished model.

Jesse2884,
if you just tell us what you are having issues with we might be able to solve your problems on this forum without reverting to youtube. please refer to my comments below if you are not able to read these diagrams, which are some of the best i have ever encountered in an origami book. Maybe reviewing chapter 2 on the diagram symbols and actions might help you? :arrow: :idea:

For all of the people who are asking questions about this model, don't you reckon you have set your sights too high in buying this book if you cannot fold the orchid :?: , with models that are in the most part, somewhat more complex than the orchid diagrammed throughout the book. in other words, try a book that you can actually fold the models in for a change. :!: :? :roll: