David Brill's Seated Cat.

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
matthewmeager11

David Brill's Seated Cat.

Post by matthewmeager11 »

hello... Well i just was on David Brill's Website and i saw he put up diagrams of "The Seated Cat" And i was just wondering if anyone can help me with steps 21 to 22, 25 to 26, 27 to 28, and 31....... I dont really know what is happening there... Please help me! Thanks alot! I would really appreciate it! :D

http://www.webfilms.ca/cat.pdf
Thank You! =D

-Matthew
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I haven't folded this in a long time, so I'm guessing:

21 - 22: Looks like that might be an inside reverse fold.

25 - 26: Not clear, harder to describe - Look at the front legs, I think that is where you begin to fold the front paws. I'm not sure. Look at the front photo and at Step #32 to see where you are going to end up.

27 - 28: Assuming that you folded the head correctly in Step#23 and decreased the neck in Step #27, then you want to look underneath the head and fold that triangular flap below. Then when you look back on top, you should see Step #29 (The shaping doesn't look easy.)
(BTW, looking at the photo, it looks like you can fold the triangular flap upward rather than down, to get a color change)

31: Looks like just the head with the nose pointing to the right, and the body is not drawn, to make the instructions simpler (?). I think that you inside reverse fold the ears along the bisectors, so that they sit more downward, like in Step #32 and in the photo.

Good Luck.

Take some photos, even if you have trouble, and maybe we can troubleshoot a little better...

- Hank Simon
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

Hey, sorry to bother you, but could you help me too? I'm tryin to make this cat for my girlfriend (and prove I don't have clumsy hands) but I'm kinda useless. I cannot figure out fold 5. How do those inner edges fold down to create those elongated triangles?

Any help appreciated. I know newbies probably shouldn't attempt this level, but I've gotta give it a shot y'know?
oz

Post by oz »

Welcome to the forum!

Think of the paper swiveling when doing step 5.

Hopefully this helps?
Last edited by oz on May 28th, 2011, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

Gah! Thank you!! That worked perfect! I can't believe how dense I am at this! Now if I can finish it. Also thanks for such a quick and helpful reply I really appreciate it!

Update... Really sorry, now I'm having trouble following step 18 to 19. How do I fold the central part?

wow I guess if it wasn't hard it wouldn't be worth it. Didn't think origami could be this addictive :wink:
I'm kinda new to forums in general how can I go about posting photos if they're needed? Plus if I get this I'm gonna want to tell the world! :D

Christ its ugly but I think I got it!! Woooo! Eh hem, sorry. :D

Haha... well I did my best, but it was a meteoric fail! I just discovered I had the paper upside down, my cats white with bits of grey :?
Thank you for your help, round two on this in the future I think, but for now I think I'll stick to rugby! It was a lot of fun despite the colourful cursin of my sausage fingers... :lol:
oz

Post by oz »

Don't let this model turn you off of origami... If you wanted a book that eases you into it, check out Robert Lang's The Complete Book of Origami.

All you ever wanted to know about posting pictures is here.

Do you still need help with 18-19? Glad you're having fun with it... :P
Adam

Post by Adam »

oz wrote:Don't let this model turn you off of origami... If you wanted a book that eases you into it, check out Robert Lang's The Complete Book of Origami.
I'd certainly not recommend that book. The Complete Book of Origami uses many oddly shaped sheets of paper and its diagrams are not always that clear. Instead, get anything by John Montroll.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

Thanks for the tips guys. Actually I enjoyed tryin to fold that little piece of paper into something recognisable. My other half appreciated the effort if nothin else, but it was fun. Already trying another one but will definitely give those books a look.
Ha, you shoulda seen my team mates faces when I showed em a crane! I got a ribbing till I dared them to try! Funny thing watching a bunch of ruggers desperately tryin to fold origami! Haha :lol:
Bill Nguyen

Re: David Brill's Seated Cat.

Post by Bill Nguyen »

Hello can anyone help me on parts 29-30? Thanks
Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

The two mountain folds in the center are for shaping--you sortof fold them and then just keep them like that to show it has facial lines. If you're wetfolding, then fold these lines and then curve the inner space between the // space to make it bulge out for a better 3d effect.
For the cheeks (I think that's what you call it?) it's just a partial swivel fold. Mountain fold and tuck in a little bit with the valley to make the muzzle.
A tiny place to post my things. Enjoy~
http://flamekurosei.deviantart.com/
rugwing

Post by rugwing »

so how do you do step s 19-20?
pictures would be nice
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

rugwing, my understanding is that you precrease with valley and mountain folds as shown in step 19, then you turn the paper over (note that creases in step 20 are the exact opposite of creased in step 19). You then collapse the model in half, trying to achieve look in step 21. My only hesitation is i'm not sure step 20 (having a view of the model turned over) is required at all. It look like you can directly fold 19 to 21. I'm not sure either how valley folds in step 21 can realistically result in step 23. The angle suggested for the valley fold (for front paws) look strange. I'll give it a try to see whats going on...
Dominic
Orignome

Post by Orignome »

I was puzzled about how to accomplish step 21 until I realized part of step 18 is to reshuffle (release) the middle layers. That’s what makes step 21 possible.