Any Pangolin

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Lephantome92

Any Pangolin

Post by Lephantome92 »

I saw pictures of Eric Joisel's pangolin and fell in love with it. I know he doesn't diagram anything, but are there other pangolin diagrams available?
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

it's just a kind of tessellation with varying scale sizes made into a pangolin.
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

newbpcpfolder wrote:it's just a kind of tessellation with varying scale sizes made into a pangolin.
Yes, "just"...

I have no idea why simplicity in design should be a problem or why it should be belittled as your post suggests, willingly or not; especially when it is coupled with original ideas and exceptional folding skills. What's the point in "understanding" complex folds if you don't master the folding process in itself ?
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

yeah.i know.......sorry 'bout that, but by "just" I meant that he tessellated a "just"(simple" pattern on to it. I think i should have described it better.
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

made into a pangolin.
1. Tessellation
2. ???
3. PANGOLIN!

Come on , that's like saying Lafosse's alligator is the same.... :roll:
andssl

Post by andssl »

I believe the question is about other pangolins in origami. Well, I don't know other origami pangolins.
orion119net

Post by orion119net »

actually while the subject is floating around, how did Joisel make the scales get smaller? I think I might be overcomplicating things(which I do a lot actually), but I can't figure it out.
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

Ya, that's the magic too...........
and I don't know any pangolins either :-(
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

andssl wrote:I believe the question is about other pangolins in origami. Well, I don't know other origami pangolins.
That's sad, I really wanted a pangolin!!
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

orion119net wrote:actually while the subject is floating around, how did Joisel make the scales get smaller? I think I might be overcomplicating things(which I do a lot actually), but I can't figure it out.
A possibility as I see it would be he started with a massive square, then added a bunch of pleats both ways but making the squares different sizes; the pleats would be thinner on the edges than in the middle. Then maybe he just went from there?
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

I think you hit it quite accurately, the pleats are packed closer on the edges, following something close to a logarithmic progression. I'm not entirely sure, but I think he may have detailled this a little bit on the french-speaking forum, as one of its members actually got a rather impressive result, albeit still not to the level of the original... Your nickname suggests you may be able to browse this without translation too :)
orion119net

Post by orion119net »

well that's what I was guessing, but I just can't figure out how he got the pleats closer. Since the pleats have to run the entire paper, they would interfere with the larger pleats. Only solution I can think of is that the pleat lines aren't straight, but curved somehow, which would also curl the paper... does this sound like it could be right?

I'll give it a shot when I'm not supposed to be doing homework and see what happens, unless someone tells me I'm totally daft in the head(which I am, but still).
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

The scales don't all need to be based on squares, they can be rectangular; I'm quite sure the pleats are parallel though... also, maybe you're not picturing their orientation correctly ? :wink:
orion119net

Post by orion119net »

](*,)

I apologize for being stupid.

you're right, I was overcomplicating things again instead of doing the obvious. Thanks for setting me straight. I will figure this out one day!
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

maybe the pleats are not rectangular but of a lesser angle forming V´s along the center of the back that way you could begin with very small ones start spreading them appart and then adding smaller ones to get very lagre scales on the back and smaller scales in the neck and tail.
X