Robert J. Lang - Roosevelt Elk

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
dinogami

Re: Robert J. Lang - Roosevelt Elk

Post by dinogami »

Bugfolder wrote:And that's why, in this case, it's better to just measure and mark, than to try to find them all using ReferenceFinder or the equivalent. Finding all of those points by folding alone would cover the paper in extraneous creases and would be even more tedious than measuring and marking. (Trust me, I know whereof I speak.) ;o)
I can confirm! I did it with Reference Finder just as an exercise, but yes, it creates a lot of extra creases that ultimately made things more confusing that they would have been otherwise. I'm not certain about measuring, though: the proportions are exotic enough that one might have to use calipers, rather than a ruler, to find them accurately!
Bugfolder

Post by Bugfolder »

dinogami wrote:
Bugfolder wrote:... I'm not certain about measuring, though: the proportions are exotic enough that one might have to use calipers, rather than a ruler, to find them accurately!
I find that it's pretty easy to do with a metric ruler (so the divisions are in decimal) and a triangle. As an earlier person described, if X is the distance to find and Y is the side of the square, the distance you need to measure is just X*Y. (For the Roosevelt Elk, the dimensions are given for a 70 cm square, so you don't even have to do that much.) Although the dimensions there are given to an accuracy of 0.1 mm, if you use a metric ruler, you can just eyeball the sub-mm division; that much error won't hurt you.

The triangle is for measuring the points in the interior (which are, admittedly, more of a pain than the ones around the edges). For one of those, you can make an initial mark at the edge for the first distance; then use the triangle to measure inward precisely at a right angle for the 2nd distance and make your interior mark. (If you're worried about error, you can re-measure the 1st distance once you've placed the interior point to refine its position.)

As has been noted, doing all this measuring and marking is really tedious, which is why there's not too many models out there that require it. But I think about this: in the Hilbert space of all possible origami designs, the ones with no easy reference points vastly outnumber the ones with easily found reference points. By staying within the safe confines of easily-found-reference-point designs, what wondrous things might we be missing?
mixmastermarc16

Post by mixmastermarc16 »

robert you are the best! i never expected you to actually respond to my inquiry, and i think its great that you participate in this forum. i really appreciate the folding advice. a model of this caliber and beauty is worth every tedious second. keep up the great work......waiting patiently for origami insects 3.....!
Thank you again..
Bugfolder

Post by Bugfolder »

mixmastermarc16 wrote:....waiting patiently for origami insects 3...!
Ah, um, er, don't put other things on hold while you wait ;o). Next out is Origami Design Secrets, 2nd Edition (due in late summer), which will have a few new insects (as well as lots of CP goodness, including how to design with hex pleating). Following that will be the long-awaited, long-procrastinated (and possibly still more procrastination to come) Twists, Tilings, and Tessellations in Origami.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

"Tessellations in Origami" did I hear? yes please! :)
mixmastermarc16

Post by mixmastermarc16 »

its already listed on amazon if you want to check it out.....looks great!cant wait!
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Can nobody post the reference points on this thing? x-x
EDIT: I also hate repeat threads, so I necro one instead ._.
Just imagine: 9001 Ryujin 3.5 threads. x-x
lolle386

Re:

Post by lolle386 »

Adam wrote:His website clearly states that there are no diagrams for this model, or that they are, in any case, "not available".
It's always better to ask for permission first, if you're unsure about the document's legality.
[-X
the digram is in origami design secret second edition
Spliffonaut

Post by Spliffonaut »

If u want to fold it from a smaller sheet!

70cm ---- 50cm

11,1 ---- 7.92 cm
20,56 ---- 14,68 cm
24,21 ---- 17,29 cm
26,28 ---- 18,77 cm

5,24 ---- 3,7 cm
7,97 ---- 5,69 cm
9,33 ---- 6,66 cm
22,91 ---- 16,36 cm
32,47 ---- 23,19 cm

after some simple mathematics

i made this from a 50 cm square, useing the ref that i have here!

My Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eyerocksorigami/

My Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spliffonaut?feature=mhee