Eric Joisel mermaid (cp)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
hobbestheprince

Re: Eric Joisel mermaid (cp)

Post by hobbestheprince »

JumPurge wrote:You wanted instructions to make a bust to practise the head, so I gave you that.

Alright.. Start with a large peice of paper, that's a 2:1 ratio. Or half a square. A rectangle.

Fold it in half, you have to squares. Fold it diagonally, you have four right angle trangles. Adding a middle line where a normal quarter is will do good.

Now make it into 14th's. All the way down the strip. That way it will have 14 : 1 bars going all the way down the length of the model.

With the top two, divide by 12. Basically, just each one fold in thirds, than fold each of those into quarters. 4 x 3 = 12, so there. Now, that's not enough to make the full mermaid. face, arms, hair, etc.
You'll have to divide another bar by 12, but only enough so you can reach 20, while cutting off 6 on the top. You've basically now made this part:

The rest is either self explanitory, or already explained, and making simple sinks. The scales are but simple pleating. In the actual CP the scales separate more as they approach the stomach, however, I ignore that for simplistic reasons.

Am I right when you said 14 bars all the way down the strip, is it like this?

Wouldn't that mean I have to somehow divide by 7ths on a rectangle all the way down? Is that even possible?

Then you mention, "the top two." What is that? I thought by doing that division that it was dealt with. Your explanation confused me.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Yes. Divide it by 14 all the way down like that.
It is possible. Or you could just divide a large paper by 16 (8x2) and then cut off 2, and when that's done, find two squares to make the 1:2 ration with a division of 14. Think around the issue. Problem solving.
Top two is obviously the top two bars of the rectangle. Just count one strip, then another. There will be 12 strips/bars below it.
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

If you want a 1:2 rectangle divided in 14th's all the way down use the fact that you can make two squares out of it and then use ReferenceFinder to find 6/7 in one of the squares.
This way you will have the line in the rectangle on 6/14 (or 8/14 if you check from the other side).
The 8/14th part can easily be divided into 14th's, just by folding in half.
As for the part with the 6/14th in it. Just use 2 of the lines of the other part to make it 8/14th and use that line to divide to make the last 14th's.

Hope you get what i mean :)
My Flickr

FlareglooM
hobbestheprince

Lol, I wish I knew what the ratio stuff meant in regards to this. I do like the idea of folding 16ths, then taking two bars off, but when it comes to finding some ratio or whatever after that ... yikes.
hobbestheprince

Re:

JumPurge wrote:From what I over hear, the scales in the middle are folded last, with the flaps on either side being folded back and make the tail.
As for the ratio, I have found that it's 44x78.
How to get this size, I don't know. What I do know is that horizontally it's 6x10, but when the last edge is divided into 8ths, take off two.
I counted and got 44 x 72 using photoshop. Not sure how I'm off by 6 across.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Well, I do not know what you're doing with yours. I know what I do, and I can't explain it to others. A cp is a puzzle that needs to be solved. I can't describe a piece to you to show where it goes in the puzzle.
hobbestheprince

I did what any person with photo-editing software would do ... aligned the bars across the model by copying about 3 or 4 of them, lol.

Just thought I would point that out.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

By "I don't know what you're doing" I mean "I'm not sure how yours is organized differently than mine, seeing as we have different results, or we are counting different parts of the CP".

I can send you my PSD over mediafire for you to look at.
hobbestheprince

If you like, then ok. I had the same number going from left to right ... 44. I double counted top to bottom and ended up with my number, adding ticks with the mouse for every bar (counting without feels like you're getting vertigo and lose count, lol).

Not to call you on it or anything, it was for the sake of someone trying to fold the model. We must have a different cp, because someone posted their results based on your dimensions. I could be wrong but counting twice to be sure and having the first number exact seemed odd to me.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

I'm currently correcting my CP, I've noticed some errors in it. Sorry, it will be delayed.

EDIT: Here it is. Now: The big problem comes into play dividing into 11. You will find out by a: taking a larger square or rectangle, divide them into a larger number that's easy to make, say 12, and cutting off one all around (so this means instead of a normal striped, you'll have a full grid and have to cut off one square on the top, bottom, and one side edge).

Magically, say you now have 11. Then, divide the top two (yes this is it being the same as this) by 8ths.

You've made a near identical grid to what it would normally be. Just cut off 10, ans you'll now just have the 14 that you need, fully creased on the top. Then you just need to do the normal head folds and scales that you can find here:
http://www.origami-resource-center.com/ ... oifish.pdf

This has been fairly helpful to both me and you :P
http://www.mediafire.com/?m5mxo9k0dqdjz9d
hobbestheprince

JumPurge wrote:I'm currently correcting my CP, I've noticed some errors in it. Sorry, it will be delayed.

EDIT: Here it is. Now: The big problem comes into play dividing into 11. You will find out by a: taking a larger square or rectangle, divide them into a larger number that's easy to make, say 12, and cutting off one all around (so this means instead of a normal striped, you'll have a full grid and have to cut off one square on the top, bottom, and one side edge).

Magically, say you now have 11. Then, divide the top two (yes this is it being the same as this) by 8ths.

You've made a near identical grid to what it would normally be. Just cut off 10, ans you'll now just have the 14 that you need, fully creased on the top. Then you just need to do the normal head folds and scales that you can find here:
http://www.origami-resource-center.com/ ... oifish.pdf

This has been fairly helpful to both me and you :P
http://www.mediafire.com/?m5mxo9k0dqdjz9d
Very nice, thank you for that :-) How were you able to focus on just the head like that, as we discussed before for the bust. I think it's very interesting. I'm guessing you might have done some ratio converting for it to be applied to copy paper.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

hobbestheprince wrote:
Very nice, thank you for that :-) How were you able to focus on just the head like that, as we discussed before for the bust. I think it's very interesting. I'm guessing you might have done some ratio converting for it to be applied to copy paper.
11x8=88
You only need 14 from this process, and you cut off 10. So you're top 24 is where your main focus would be. So what's the smallest multiple of 11 24 first into? 33. So the first three are divided into 8ths. Then just cut off ten, and do as you would normally. You'll have the head and hair in the center, the hands on the side. If you just follow things logically from how they appear on the CP, you should do fine.
hobbestheprince

What I meant was regarding getting just the bust. I think it's cool how you can focus on one part and perfect it. Sort of like how some people on the forum just do the Ryu Zin head with a piece of paper, but enlarged.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Oh well that's easy. I mean, on the actual ratio from the whole mermaid, it may be difficult to crop THAT part, but the general idea of her bust is pretty much a no brainer. It's just folding it in half, then folding the edges to the center. After that, just half those angles again so it's 4 equal angles on each side.Then it should look similar to this:
The back part becomes the side of the breasts.
It's not meant to be flat (pun inteaded) so there is a sort of dimple in the lower part to make a natural breast-stomach connection. You may also wish to add a crease in the middle where the gray line is so you don't get a super boob.
hobbestheprince

Lmao, super boob. I'm going to have to work extra hard on this one ... the female figure is very difficult in art, at least in my opinion.