Robert J. Lang - Tarantula (Complete Origami)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
the modern einstein

Robert J. Lang - Tarantula (Complete Origami)

Post by the modern einstein »

This is Just to clarify the instructions - at step 21, the diagrams intsruct you to spread sink the smaller edge. In my model, this edge is wrapping around one of the points that eventually becomes the Tarantula's legs, thus making it seem likely that I have gone wrong in one of the steps around 10-14, where there is a release and collapse manouvre, in which some of the components of the model are not shown, making me unsure of what you are really supposed to do. If anyone would mind telling me if I need to unwrap some more layers that would be Great, Thanks.

(P.S I have used the search function, and no results have come up, so no rants about using the search funtion)
redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Re: Robert J. Lang - Tarantula (Complete Origami)

Post by redheadorigami »

Ill help soon, i just need to find the book before i do.
"Violence isn't the answer but it's always a good start."
-JeossMayhem
the modern einstein

How long is soon?
redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by redheadorigami »

Im sorry, but i have no foreseeable means of helping you anytime soon...
Maybe 3 days?
"Violence isn't the answer but it's always a good start."
-JeossMayhem
the modern einstein

Re: R.Lang - Tarantula, Steps 10-21 (Complete Origami).

OK.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Nope, you're doing it right. there is indeed another layer this part wraps around-- you can't actually do a proper spread sink without squashing the intervening layer. And looking at the next step, you aren't actually doing a spread sink. My guess is that Robert Lang thought it'd be easier to understand how to perform the sink if you think about it like a spread sink, even though it's not really one.
the modern einstein

Thanks - i worked that bit out. I continued with the model and it worked out fine.
sirdaybat

Post by sirdaybat »

Hello,
I have a different question about this model (same book), namely step 11 ("Pull the extra paper up at right angles to the rest of the model"). I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to do there. I'm also not sure what "fold down the point in back" in step 9 means. I may have done something wrong in the previous steps, so I took some pictures:
Before step 8, front
Before step 8, back
Before step 9, front
Before step 9, back
Before step 10, front
Before step 10, back
Before step 11, front
(Front pictures are oriented as in the diagrams in the book, the "back" ones are obtained by flipping the paper over horizontally. No back picture of 11, since step 10 does not alter the back (if I'm not mistaken))

I'd be grateful if someone could post an explanation or even pictures or something on how to do step 11. It would be particularly helpful to know what points on diagram 11 correspond to what points on diagram 12.

Thanks!
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I'd be grateful if anyone could help out with this. I am stuck at the same place as the last poster.

Step 11 says "pull the paper up at right angles to the rest of the model, but the pictures don't make sense to me.

anyway, thanks.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

For reference I did figure this out. The pic in this step is just a bad pic, it tries to show a perspective view of the thing when you open it up. If anyone else is having trouble right here, know that at this point you open the model up so that the top layers are strait up off the table, this is the right angle that the step talks about.