Need Help With Cat

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
Highball

Need Help With Cat

Post by Highball »

Hey folks .... I am new to your forum and I have a problem. I have a picture of a Origami Cat that I do not have instructions for. Can anyone help me out with this please?

LeafPiece

Re: Need Help With Cat

Post by LeafPiece »

I could be be wrong, and maybe it's because of the small picture, but it doesn't quite look like origami. Where does the picture come from?
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

The pose reminds me a bit of Eric Joisel's Cat.

LeafPieace: http://s901.beta.photobucket.com/user/Highball/library/
My Flickr

FlareglooM
franz

Post by franz »

LeafPiece wrote:I could be be wrong, and maybe it's because of the small picture, but it doesn't quite look like origami. Where does the picture come from?
this was also my first thought: not origami, but something like tangram. it would be interesting to know where the picture is from.

oh: welcome to the forum :D
franz
LeafPiece

Post by LeafPiece »

franz wrote:not origami, but something like tangram.
Thanks for reminding me! I was trying to remember where I had seen that style before.

@FlareglooM: It links back to the OP's own photobucket so we still don't know the original source, but you're right, Joisel's cat looks very similar.
Highball

Post by Highball »

Hey guys .... sorry for the delay in answering the questions.

The cat came from a book for the game called Battletech. It was left behind by a group of high tech assassins called the Nekekami as a calling card to show they had been there.

Just from my researching what you have said it does kinda look like it is a Tangram, but I have not idea how to make it. If there some kind of guide to show how to fold Tangrams that I might be able to use to figure out how to actually fold this?
LeafPiece

Post by LeafPiece »

Like franz mentioned, tangram is not origami so it's not something you fold. Tangram is a puzzle, and you have pieces that you rearrange to form various shapes.

With that being said, both origami and tangram follow certain rules, and although it doesn't look like origami, it's not traditional tangram either (tangram only has 7 pieces) - it just has that look.

It's likely the author of the book wasn't concerned with details and simply made something up. Otherwise it could be paper craft in which case anything goes! :P
Creasepatternmaker

Post by Creasepatternmaker »

I guarantee this is not pure origami. Looks like some craft project, or as the above users have mentioned, maybe a tanagram.