Looking for animals with manes

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Looking for animals with manes

Post by roodborst »

There are two aninals that I would like to design. The striped hyena, who has a mane running from the tail all the way to the neck.
The black wildebeest who has a mane from the start of the front legs till the start of the skull, and ears, horns and a head.
Since I can't figure out how to make a closed back model with a mane running along the spine and a closed back model with a mane and enough paper left for a head with horns and ears I was hoping someone on the forum knows of models with the same features? Maybe if I see a other model with a similar structure I'll be able to finish the designs.

EDIT: While using my mobile phone, I tapped 'b' alot instead of 'space'.
Last edited by roodborst on August 2nd, 2013, 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Baltorigamist

Re: Looking for with manes

Post by Baltorigamist »

I've always been proud of the mane on my Horse model. (http://baltorigamist.deviantart.com/art ... -301618173) I can post the crease pattern if you want, or maybe photodiagrams.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Thank you Balto. But looking at your horse, I don't think it would be of any use. I'm afraid It is going to get more complex then that. I already have a body stucture and kind of the same manes as your horse does now. This way I don't have enough paper left to fold ears AND long horns.
I just took a pic so you can see what i mean;
Origami wildebeest / gnu by roodborst078, on Flickr
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

If I'm ever able to get it the way I want, the manes should be colorchanged and there should be hair on the snout, chin and between the frontlegs.
http://photos.zoochat.com/large/2009091 ... -81010.jpg
Magnificent animal.
Baltorigamist

Re: Looking for animals with manes

Post by Baltorigamist »

There's no way to get a color-changed mane on a completely closed-back model. You would have to have an open-back model and pull an inner layer between the raw edges on the spine.
Luckily, that opens up the possibility of using pleated edges for the hair. Efficiency might be a problem if you use that approach, but it's worth it to sacrifice efficiency for accuracy.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Could you write zoological name of that animal, please?
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Connochaetes gnu. For the black wildebeest/ white tailed gnu and hyaena hyeana, for the striped hyena. Any advice on the designing part would be appreciated.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Thanks for the advice balto. I'll try an other fold with an open back to see if it works.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Would you mind PMing me the CP of what you're working with? I'd be happy to help, as I know a structure that works well for a color-changed mane.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

roodborst wrote:Connochaetes gnu. For the black wildebeest/ white tailed gnu and hyaena hyeana, for the striped hyena. Any advice on the designing part would be appreciated.
Thanks alot! Now everything is clear :-)

I think, your model is quite OK, one can recognize it (if one knows what animal it is... :-) ).
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz