An origami that includes a division into five equal parts

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
mona

An origami that includes a division into five equal parts

Post by mona »

Hi everyone! :)
I'm currently developing a seminar on origami for senior high school classes and I want to introduce my students to an approximation technique of dividing a paper into five equal strips.

To motivate my students, I'd like to show an origami model to them, in which one of the folding steps asks you to divide a paper into five parts. It doesn't matter if it's an exact folding or just an approximation. I just need an origami where you can see some division into five parts in the final model.

Does any of you know such a model, by chance?

Thank you! :)
Baltorigamist

Re: An origami that includes a division into five equal part

Post by Baltorigamist »

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Joesph Wu's Great White Shark requires fifths in the first step. The model itself is above a beginner level, but it's not overly difficult.

As far as a method for dividing into fifths, there's a relatively easy way to get it exact (using what's called the Crossing Diagonals theorem). I don't know of any (public) diagrams using it, but it's pretty easy to explain in words:

1: Fold the top edge to the bottom edge and make a pinch at one side edge (for simplicity, let's say the left edge).
2: Fold the top edge down to the pinch and make another pinch on the left side.
3: Fold between the uppermost pinch and the upper-right corner of the square.
4: Fold the upper right corner to the lower-left corner. This main diagonal crosses the crease from 3 at a point that divides the crease into a 1:4 ratio--or 1/5 of the way across the square.

I hope this helps. (:
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
mona

Post by mona »

Thank you!!!!!!!! That's exactly what I was looking for!!
I only found some boxes that start with fifths in the first steps, but I guess boxes are not very impressive for my students :mrgreen:
thank you so much :)
jeko

Post by jeko »

I suppose you'll also find quite a few models that use a multiple of 5, e.g., 10th for my lizard
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jenskober/6901710774/
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gan6o ... ard_v0.pdf