What is a "Grampsu"?

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
noneuclidean

What is a "Grampsu"?

Post by noneuclidean »

Not sure what topic to post this in but here goes:

In Tanteidan 22, there is a model by Fumiaki Kawahata called a "Grampsu." However, it does not seem to resemble anything. Searching for "Grampsu" on Google yields no useful results. What is a "Grampsu"?

Picture provided is below:
origami_8
Administrator

Re: What is a "Grampsu"?

Post by origami_8 »

Putting the Japanese Text into an online translator, I get: Do not fold the scales Orca.
It slightly does look like a whale to me, so the translation could be correct.
AxolotlBottle
Location: Underneath floating tree bark hiding from the predators

Post by AxolotlBottle »

I would guess it's really a Shachihoko however it doesn't really look like it has a tigers head to me.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

I agree with Shachihoko. Probably the one from Nagoya Castle.

origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The diagram is also in the newest Tanteidan magazine. There they call it Grampus instead of Grampsu. According to Wikipedia Grampus is a Dolphin genus.
I agree that the Shachihoko looks a lot like the model, but maybe it is based on the Grampus dolphin?
ShuaiJanaiDesu

Post by ShuaiJanaiDesu »

Taking a look at the Japanese name of the model("ウロコ折りをしない鯱"), it translates to "Shachi without using Scale Folding"
- Shachi is a shortened form of the word 'Shachihoko' (which others have mentioned above)
- 'Scale Folding' refers to the technique used to create scales by folding perpendicular pleat folds.

As origami_8 had mentioned, it's probably a misspelling of 'Grampus', which according to wikipedia is 'A common name historically used for the orca'.
Searching further, I found that 'Grampus' is the English equivalent of 'Shachi' (At least to Japanese people, since they have a Soccer Team named 'Nagoya Grampus Eight')