Looking for: Butterfly with legs

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
stevieboy1

Looking for: Butterfly with legs

Post by stevieboy1 »

Hi all im really getting into folding butterflys but I only like the ones that have there legs etc. Ive made a few now. Just wonderd if anyone knows any good books etc or diagrams for any good ones with there legs?? i quite like the ones that M sirgo has done but dont know if they were ever diagramed etc?

Any help would be great.:wink:

Kind regards
Steve :D
orion119net

Post by orion119net »

Origami Insects and their kin, by Robert Lang, has a really good one.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Yup got that one. I really like that one. :D

Kind regards
Nepfreak

Post by Nepfreak »

If you can fold Lang's you could probably do Sirgo's Actias Dubernadii (a moth, but it's nice looking) from the CP. After you layout the 48X48 (or at least 24x24) grid, it's really just a matter of bringing out the right creases. After you collapse the base it's really easy to figure out how to fold the rest.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

I tryed that one coldnt even get the base. :cry: I really like that one and would love to fold it but I cant make head nor tail of how to do the cp. :? I tryed to fold it but i cant work it out.

Kind regards
Steve :D :wink:
NL3181

Post by NL3181 »

You might like this Butterfly by Kamiya http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecilia13101/3276394560/
Sushy

Post by Sushy »

Maybe you'd like to try Peter Engel's Butterfly from 'Origami from Angelfish to Zen'. It is pretty nice. Haven't found a pic though
Sebyfrog

Post by Sebyfrog »

There is a diagram for a butterfly with legs here that's quite nice,
http://www.zingman.com/origami/ori_animals.html#lovebug
Live forever man...
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Thats a nice one i will give that a try soon. Thanks for the link Sebyfrog. :wink:

Just one question how do you get the folds for the spots on the wings as its not shown in the diagrams or is that not the one lol

Kind regards
Steve :wink:
kirijama

Post by kirijama »

There's also a legged butterfly in Origami birds and insects by John Montroll.

It looks like this:

(the legs and the antennes could be narrowed and formed much more, but this one is from simple printer paper)
Victoria Serova

Post by Victoria Serova »

luna moth(Actias dubernardi)
designer -Jason Ku

cp - http://scripts.mit.edu/~jasonku/index.p ... =lunamoth2
InsomniacFolder

Post by InsomniacFolder »

Sushy wrote:Maybe you'd like to try Peter Engel's Butterfly from 'Origami from Angelfish to Zen'. It is pretty nice. Haven't found a pic though
A picture of Engels Butterfly can be seen here: http://www.serve.com/hecht/origami/galpix/btrflye.jpg

Similar in structure to Lang's in Origami Zoo, Lang Boxpleats, Engel's is kite based.
"Had we but world enough and time..."
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Id love to fold Engel's Butterfly but i from what I can see it would be the only model id want to fold from Angelfish to Zen so I dont think I will be spending money out on it any time soon just for the one model lol Is it diagramed in any other book do anyone know?

I love all the ones that have been shown. I love the loona moth. I so wish I could fold cps. I keep trying but I just cant get it :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for all your replys so far guys and girls! :wink: :D

Kind regards
Nepfreak

Post by Nepfreak »

Here's the basic steps for collapsing Sirgo's. It's really not super hard to collapse the crease pattern if you're diligent about creasing the grid and make the right creases.
1. Fold a 48x48 grid. Do this by first folding 3rds, then 6ths, etc. When you do the final division (the finest one, into 48ths) flip the paper over so that the creases end up like pleats going in both directions. This will help in collapsing later
2. Crease all the diagonal creases in the grid. Notice that when a vertical or horizontal crease hits a diagonal, it changes direction by 90 degrees. This is one of the big concepts behind box pleating.
3. Ever folded Shafer's two interlocking rings? This model is kind of like a big, complex two interlocking rings. The whole bottom half of the model can be collapsed by folding the valleys along the edge of the paper while rabbit-earing at the corners, then flipping over and doing the same on the back until you have two long points. These points are the tails.
4.The legs, antenna and upper wings are essentially repetitions of the above process, the same one used in Shafer's interlocking rings. The hardest part to collapse is probably where the upper wings meet the legs/antenna. You can pencil in the creases if you have to-- I don't think any purist mobs are in your area. The collapsed base looks like two long points and two short points, with a pack of eight small points for legs/antenna. You pull out some paper from the wing flaps and shape them to taste, then do the same with the legs.
good luck! If this didn't help maybe you can say where you're having a problem and I can give you some photos of my finished one if you want.
Innotech

Post by Innotech »

the only complex butterfly I have thus far created from Origami is Robert Lang's from Origami Insects I, but Id love to try others. Ive heard of CP's before but honestly I have never tried them and It seems rather tedious. What book is Peter engel's butterfly in?