Looking for: Modular Origami Building Units

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
ralchizar

Looking for: Modular Origami Building Units

Post by ralchizar »

:?: I am looking for a modular origami unit that will build more than a polyhedron or a ball, I want to build a tall structure. I have already build a four foot tall structure out of business cards, but I want to make something out of post-it notes (I have several thousand at my disposal).
It should be something that can take the weight, and since it needs internal structure it cannot be a sheet of any of the common units. For example the PHiZZ unit can make a sheet but not a large structure. Sonobe units are nice, but they just don't hold together well in large structures. I have been looking for a while and I have not found any thing useful.

Please any ideas group?
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

Firstfold's slip and stick units woult be perfect, but he hasn't released any diagrams. I too have a lot of post it notes. The only other thing I can think of is Robert Neales penultimate unit. It is great to make from post it notes, and is quite strong.
ralchizar

Post by ralchizar »

Thanks for the head's up on Firstfold's units, they look great, too bad no diagrams yet. Maybe I can bug him to give up the secret
I thought about the penultimate unit, but there is no way to join the cubes to build a tall structure, at least not one that would look good.
Any other ideas folks?
Leaflock

Post by Leaflock »

ralchizar

Post by ralchizar »

I have done most of the models on the first link there Leaflock, but none of those can create a tall structure, they are all ball-like.

The cosmosphere is not what I am looking for either... But I have heard good things about Tomoko Fuse's book, I might get that. Do you know if there are any units that will fit the bill?

More suggestions would be welcome group :)
ralchizar

Post by ralchizar »

Nevermind, since I could not find what I was looking for, I created my own unit. It was a bit of a breakthrough for me so I created a website all about it.
Give it a gander if you are curious.
http://sites.google.com/site/origamirevolution/Home