Complex Masks

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
Crelm

Complex Masks

Post by Crelm »

Im searching for your favorite complex diagram of a mask of a mythical tribal, asian, or just unusual style. Nothing comical however. Nothing requiring wet-folding though. I back handmade paper with foil and then back the foil with tissue. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Chris.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

You should check out "The Mask" by Tomoko Fuse, some awesome stuff in there that will go well with the type of paper you use.
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

yes, the mask by tomoko fuse is a fine source for complex faces! monsieur eric joisel represents an other but quite naturalistic style but i don't know if there's any diagram of his masks available - may be in a publication of the british origami society ...
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

Joel Cooper's tesselation masks are amazing, you should have a look. there is a CP for probably his simplest work here.
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
InsomniacFolder

Post by InsomniacFolder »

In addition to the excellent suggestions above (particularly the Fuse Magnum Opus) there are also some nice mask varieties in the starting chapter of "Origami Omnibus" by Kunihiko Kasahara - various Japanese mythological creature masks (Demons, Goblins) and the like - also the "Singer of Anti-War Songs" with an innovative mouth.

However, by modern standards these are probbaly not considered complex at all.

There is also another Book that is a Collection of Masks, the Spanish "El Libro de las Mascaras de Papel Plegado" which Gilad Aharoni has an excellent review of at: http://www.giladorigami.com/BO_Mascaras.html
Again though, these may not be complex enough for you but it has some nice renditions of well chosen subjects.
"Had we but world enough and time..."