Hello from Germany

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
Falter

Hello from Germany

Post by Falter »

Hello everybody,
I'm Lucy from Germany, 18 years old and just started studying at university.

I'm doing Origami for 3 or 4 years now, but I'm actually still folding more or less basic stuff, because of a lack of recources in the past few years....
I only had access to a few beginner books with diagrams and there still aren't other books available around here... but I've got better internet connection now, so I can watch videos and stuff.
However I want to buy cool origami paper and do cool models, but many of them are only available online, so I have to take what I can get here, cause I don't really like buying online

I really enjoyed folding since a friend of mine showed me simple models she did. I was directly into doing it myself and borrowed every book in our local library :D I still haven't folded everything and maybe wanted to do too much too soon and were sometimes very frustrated, when something did not go like I wanted :D

My goal is to improve my folding technique, now I started again. And maybe I try some crease patterns, too.
I#m sure you guys will be a great help when I'm struck sometime..
I'm often asking myself, how some people do these really complex origami stuff... I mean where do you get resources on folding them? Books, crease patterns, other folders? I don't want to start with the most complex models (even if there are some which I would love to fold sometime). I think there are also nice and simple models, too... but even for those it's do difficult to get diagrams or videos... and for a beginner or a bit intermediate folder like me, crease pattern are very hard to understand...

I'm looking forward to share my experience and get advice by you guys :)
Greetings,
Lucy
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Hello from Germany

Post by origami_8 »

Hello Lucy, welcome on board. Depending on where in Germany you are located, you could try to get in contact with other folders in the Area. They might have books they can borrow you and help you to find suitable paper. Advanced Origami Books are hard to get in stores, given you don't live in Freising near the Viereck-Verlag or in Müllheim near Miyabi.
A good online shop to buy stuff is Nicolas Terry's Origami-Shop.

It would be nice to see some pictures of your folds.
Falter

Post by Falter »

Hey Origami_8,
thanks for welcoming me :)
I'm afraid that both shops in Germany are way too far away :( And I'm not used to buying online, cause of unsure money transfer etc.
Maybe i'll find a way and there are at least some art supply stores around here having some origami paper... I think for what i'm doing it is enough at the moment, but its just only a bit thinner, coloured paper ^^

When I#ll get a camera, I might do some fotos sometime :)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Germany has a pretty huge Origami Community with folders almost everywhere. There are also regular meetings taking place, I think most of them are listed on the homepage of Origami Deutschland http://papierfalten.de/
You might also be interested to try out the new German Origami Forum http://deutschesorigamiforum.siteboard.eu/
Don't know what kind of models you like to fold, therefore I can not give you any paper recommendations.
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

Re: Unsafe money transfers...

You don't need to pay online, most shops will accept normal bank transfers, which is easy and safe accross Europe + the shops referred to by Anna are very reputable. Within Germany, it is also frequent to only pay upon reception of the goods, ask the sellers whether they insist on "Vorkasse".
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
Falter

Post by Falter »

Hey there,
thanks for the links and the tipps on paying :)
I actually found a store selling some origami-paper around here.... I think for starting again with folding this is enough and then later, when I'm doing better and the paper is completely folded into anything, I'll buy at origami-shop i think :)