Hi!

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
Cat.

Hi!

Post by Cat. »

Hello!

Having asked for advice, I should probably introduce myself too. I'm 30, and live in England. My hobbies are walking, rock climbing, cycling and playing classical music, but I've been ill for over a year and unable to do very much and discovered origami a couple of months ago. It's a good time to take up a new interest like this. I've lurked on here for a couple of weeks, and seen that my origami skills are far below those of the rest if you, but hopefully I can learn something :)

Cat
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Re: Hi!

Post by Razzmatazz »

Welcome to the forum! What sort of instrument(s) do you play? And about skills in origami, just be sure to take your time and be as neat as possible.

So many folders try to get ahead of themselves and it doesn't end well ever. To put it visually:
http://f.kulfoto.com/pic/0001/0014/SP8lR13938.jpg

However, I have no doubt that you will take your time. Right? ;)

Anyways, welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy yourself and learn a lot!
Cat.

Post by Cat. »

Hi Razzmatazz

Thanks :) Mainly cello, but a bit of viola, and the piano too if nobody's listening (I started it first, but never really felt 'at one' with it like I do my cello). How about you?

Yes, I quickly realised when I got Origami Zoo that I was a little out of my depth, but by working through from the beginning some of them have turned out ok (for a beginner with cheap 6 inch paper), and I got a couple of other hopefully more mixed/easier books to keep me occupied and build my skills more slowly too (I'm waiting for Kunihiko Kasahara's Origami Omnibus to come (second hand from Amazon for not very much, but it's coming from America...), and the Biddles' Essential Origami and New Origami have a few nice things in (also extremely cheap 2nd hand from Amazon, if a little sticky :? ), and the internet has almost too much choice). The problem is that I can't do very much at the moment and having found that origami is something I enjoy and, if I'm careful, can do for a while every day, I'm making quite a lot. I'm trying to go back and make the harder things a few times now so I can really get them right. I'll be honest, I had a play with the chameleon cp from the monthly challenge, out of curiosity more than anything, but can get no further than a very neatly creased piece of paper... I think that's a step that will have to wait a while longer!

Cat
Edg

Post by Edg »

Welcome to the forum! Reading your post, a book I can really recommend is Genuine origami by Jun Maekawa. It's got great models, plus little bits and bobs about crease patterns and origami design theory to pique your interest.