Hello from Indonesia!

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
Malleon

Hello from Indonesia!

Post by Malleon »

Hi everyone! I'm Malleon. I live in the suburbs of Jakarta, Indonesia. It was less hectic than the main city itself, but the area is still very busy. I'm currently in my 2nd year of undergraduate in Biotechnology. Pretty tight-packed with assignments, but I somehow always find the time to fold origami! Talk about efficiency....

Folding paper was not new stuff in my family. I came from Chinese-Indonesian background, and often times we have to fold paper structures like sycees, hats, and oil lamps using joss papers as an offering to the gods and ancestors. I was introduced to Japanese origami by my aunt; she taught me the traditional crane. One day, I saw TV Champion, and was fascinated by the models Kamiya and Chuya made (and Shafer, that guy is mind-boggling). Of course, being a little child I was, I immediately jumped into complex models. Needless to say, huge mistake. I ended up getting bored after just two weeks.

Started folding complex origami again since August last year, it has been 8 months. The first complex model I attempted and sort of succeeded was Brian Chan's Dobsonfly (Thanks Anna!). Yeah, I think it should be pretty obvious that my fold of it does not look like a dobsonfly at all. Or anything, for that matter. But since then, I folded a lot of stuff, and now I'm in the second attempt of Ku's Nazgul 8.1, using tissue-cassava-tissue with CMC. Man, that cassava paper is strong stuff, definitely my favorite paper.

My favorite artists in ascending order (barring Yoshizawa, because that would be too obvious): Robert Lang, Satoshi Kamiya, Tran Trung Hieu (Adam Tran), Hideo Komatsu, and, my absolute favorite, Eric Joisel (RIP). Pretty interesting and diverse list, I know.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to contribute to the community! (Check out my Flickr!)

Thanks for reading!
kirakinn

Re: Hello from Indonesia!

Post by kirakinn »

Nice to meet you! It'll be nice to see you on the forum!