Origami Malaysia

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
nikupanda

Post by nikupanda »

hi all,
i'm back here... well is good to get someone from local here who love origami.
i was too busy with my work, not much time to fold....
keep it up guys...
max_goh99

Post by max_goh99 »

Sup laysians I'm a city kid frm KL.I'm possibly still kinda new here, hi steven I noe ur twin bros Mike and Dave they're my classmates 8)

It's sad this being the second post for more than over a year.Everything in our country's so washed out.Maybe if they do have more origami books for order in major bookstores there'd be more folders here. :(

anyways new to the forum but not that new to the art.I remember folding my first crane when i was 5, thought by my uncle.I started picking up from there, by my 11th birthday I was obsessed by this frog model that could hop.I made those everyday, and thought others how to.I knew quite a number of folds by then, planes simple animals and what not.I held my first origami book that year,well it wasn't mine; my dad bought it for my sister but she didn't appreciate it so i had it instead.

from there on I began picking up but then I stopped for a couple of years. I regained my interest when I first saw Michael folding a kawasaki rose in class, and immediately I searched high and low for the diagrams.By then I've mastered the omega star and was trying to make the closed bottom version(from steven's blog) but I wasn't clear of the steps.With the diagrams I sought help from michael on folding the rose and took off from there.Its been a year since then and I have learned and mastered several works of Robert Lang. :)

I'm still not sure on the paper thing, most of the models I've folded with all sorts of paper, from rip-outs of exercise books to square-cut A4 papers to newspapers what not.Thus its always disappointing when I wear out the paper, and it gets difficult to work with.So I've based out my material to be a white sheet out square cut A4 paper until now, and usually wet-fold my way out.(I learned the technique myself, there was this section in the book where it said some models were folded by making the paper wet so I thought myself how to)
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

Welcome! I hope this isn't your last post, because Malaysian members tend to come and go like bad smells...

Yup, very hard to find good books over here, but I was lucky enough to find an ODS in the Borders bookshop at The Gardens, Mid Valley! Try looking there when you have time.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
max_goh99

Post by max_goh99 »

wookay I'll check it outt

heyy yea about the artists' tissue thing, where exactly is the store? I live at Bandar Manjalara, and its sorta near 1U area can u point me directions?
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

It's actually called crepe paper. It's something like wrinkly tissue paper. You'll probably know what it is when you see it. Don't worry, they sell it everywhere. The 1U Popular sells a lot.

In Mid Valley, the book was under the "Mathematics" section instead of the "Arts and Crafts" section, so keep that in mind if you're looking for the book.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
!tyza!!

Post by !tyza!! »

saya sedikit bisa bicara bahasa Indonesia/Malayu.
Inu saya berasal dari negera Malayu, dan bulan desember tahun ini, saya akan naik pesawat terbang ke negeri Malayu. Apakah ada toko kertas di negeri Malayu?
Saya belajar bahasa Indonesia di Australia, tetapi guru saya tidak pandai bahasa ini!!!

Basically, i'm going to malaysia this december, and am looking for paper.
max_goh99

Post by max_goh99 »

!tyza!! wrote:saya sedikit bisa bicara bahasa Indonesia/Malayu.
Inu saya berasal dari negera Malayu, dan bulan desember tahun ini, saya akan naik pesawat terbang ke negeri Malayu. Apakah ada toko kertas di negeri Malayu?
Saya belajar bahasa Indonesia di Australia, tetapi guru saya tidak pandai bahasa ini!!!

Basically, i'm going to malaysia this december, and am looking for paper.
o.O uh-ha...

first of all, your malay is more like Indonesian,not malaysian at all. Secondly, its MALAYSIA not negara malayu.

lastly..this is an english oriented forum.Even europeans speak english here.I don't think it would be that much of a shame to speak it here right? =D
!tyza!!

Post by !tyza!! »

o.O uh-ha...

first of all, your malay is more like Indonesian,not malaysian at all. Secondly, its MALAYSIA not negara malayu.
um, err i was speaking Indo!?
yer may as well speak engrish wit evryon elz. But paper, does there is some on Malaysia?

lol
speaking of origami. .
My Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35391396@N04/
max_goh99

Post by max_goh99 »

I'm not really experienced with the paper stuff, I fold most of my works starting with a simple A4 sized printing paper.
max_goh99

Post by max_goh99 »

Oh ya! I just seemed to recall an artist's shop at petaling street/chinatown. the shop's name is Nanking(or nan-sumth, i don't recall) and its around the street area, not in the market.I don't know whether they're still there, but last I recalled, they were a very professional artist' shop.It has two floors, and the second floor is absolutely full of paper of all kinds.Just that the last time I went there, I didn't know the significance of so many different paper, now i do =D
max_goh99

Post by max_goh99 »

oh god I'm having a monologue ==

am I the last folder in Malaysia?? We seriously need divine origami intervention zzz
K2002

Hello

Post by K2002 »

Hello I am a folder as well. Please add me in facebook. I added lots of folded model pics in there as a collection. kcyeohmy@yahoo.com
Regards
-K2002-
syahmir192

Post by syahmir192 »

I'm a Malaysian folder to :D
Is there any origami convention in Malaysia? :roll:
max_goh99

Post by max_goh99 »

oh yea! signs of folding life! hope u come more often, malaysian folders tend to come and go like bad smells.
syahmir192

Post by syahmir192 »

haha, I just found a shop at Shah Alam that sell many variety of papers lah... example, unryu paper.. and variety of sizes. It's quite shocking :shock: