Hey, I'm Victor

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
qprider

Hey, I'm Victor

Post by qprider »

Howdy everyone, my name's Victor and I'm just trying to get into origami ... currently I know next to nothing, but want to learn as much as I can.

I became interested in origami through my interest in cooking. Quick story, I host fairly regular dinner parties for my friends and one evening, I was prepared to show off my skill at churning out mass quantities of crab wontons as appetizers for my guests (not that hard, but I thought I would look badass). So I'm doing fine, frying up the wontons and people are generally enjoying them, when my roommate comes up to me and says "Hey you look tired, let me take over your station for awhile". Great I think, no problem. Later I come back to check on him and he's produced all these crab wontons, but all the wrappers had been folded into cranes, with the filling serving to support the body of the crane. He deep-fried them like normal, and the result was these absolutely beautiful crab filled fried cranes. Incredibly, and a huge hit at the party ... completely blew my stuff out of the water. :)

Since then, I've been interested in origami, and I've wondered what other kind of edible origami creations could be made. I mean, you often have fold-able sheet-like bases to work with, Phyllo dough, spring-roll wrappers, nori, etc ... and I just thought it would be cool to try to mix simple origami with cooking.

I'm just here to soak up whatever I can, if anyone has any links to get me pointed in the right direction, hit me up! :) Glad to be here, again, I'm Victor.
phillipcurl

Re: Hey, I'm Victor

Post by phillipcurl »

Welcome victor! and i like using food as a medium for origami, because you can eat your mistakes :)
thats a cool idea though, but i can't cook :L
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip