Upcoming and past Conventions

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
maddoghoek100

Re: Upcoming and past Conventions

Post by maddoghoek100 »

based on feedback to date i would say that origami people seem to like dragons :shock: . There has been some interest in all of them, but the dragon would appear to be in the lead. 8, the reasons may be more interesting though:

1) Previously unpublished (the other 3 have appeared in creased magazine) - a quick plug for creased.com ,check it out if you have not, they do a really solid job over there
2) More challenging (i would personally rate the rhino, dog and dragon at about the same difficulty: intermediate to high intermediate)
3) General coolness of dragons vs pigs and puppies

Ill keep taking pm's if folks want to weigh in, i suppose if none of these appeal i would be interested to hear what people are interested in, as long as it is a bit more constructive than your models suck.
origami_8 wrote:I'd be interested to hear the results of this, so maybe if you gathered some info, you can report back? It would really interest me what comes out of this.
SenorTortuga

Post by SenorTortuga »

I'm a 30-something male, and I'll be going to the OUSA convention again this year. I thought there was a pretty diverse demographic at OUSA last year, and I didn't have too much trouble finding some cool people in my age range to hang out and chat with (/wave maddoghoek). I'm not a designer so I may not be able to share too many insights in that area, but I'm a fairly advanced-level folder and I was able to find plenty of decently challenging classes last year (it helps to have a good registration order number, of course) like Nick Robinson's whale, Peter Engel's sun, and Robert Lang's CP scarab beetle class. You're not going to find any super-advanced level 250+ step models there due to the 2-hour time limit on most classes, but it's a great place to meet some of your favorite designers in person and network with other origami aficionados.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Where are conventions generally held, or is it always different?
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The OUSA convention in New York is every year in the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in Manhattan.
For other conventions it varies. Some are held in the same location each year, others are held in other locations from year to year (f.e. Germany) and some stay on a place for some years and then go on to another place (f.e. Italy).
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

OUSA 2012 is less than a month from now, c'mon people start talking about it. I won't be attending this year (again), but someday I will.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Thanks!
This helped a lot, because i want to go to a convention at some point, but i didn't know where i could go, and it was hard to ask because i don't want to share my location online.
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well Harpseal, you could only tell the state/country you live in. No one will be able to track you down on this but it may be possible, that there are regional meetings anywhere near you.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

My dad knows loads of programmers, who have all had horrible online experiences at some point, so it's kind of an inherited paranoya thing.
Also, i know quite a few people who want me to start regional meetings of origamists because there aren't any. I may end up organising a mini convention at some point.
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
malachi

Post by malachi »

So you're not actually in the UK?
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Well i'm not going to say, reason mentioned above. What made you think i was in the uk?
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
malachi

Post by malachi »

You have two links in your signature. The first one goes to http://scratch.mit.edu/users/pinnipediator which has your same avatar image and the name "pinnipediator" with "United Kingdom" under it.

Also, the pattern of the times of your posts would fit well with Europe.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, to feed your paranoia, I can tell you that the Forum saves your IP every time you post. That gives me at least your internet provider and in most cases your country too. Just thought you might like to know. Most websites you visit will scan your computer while you visit, for the operating system, the main programs installed and so forth. If you believe you can actually stay anonymous on the internet I'm sorry to disappoint you.

But back to the topic: I'll go to the OUSA convention this year. Who else is coming?
malachi

Post by malachi »

I'm in.
maddoghoek100

Post by maddoghoek100 »

way to get us back on track, well i will be attending, and do live in the neighborhood, if people are looking for recommendations on food and what not:

Bagels: Murrys Bagels (8th ave btw 22nd and 23rd)
Donuts: Donut Plant (23rd btw 7th and 8th)
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

I am in england a lot of the time, however my main location does vary, if you count crossing the channel every now and again, or going to Wales a lot. This is why i can't get to any conventions this year- the olympics are in some cases literally in the way. I apologise for not sharing my location earlier, i had forgotten i had shared it on scratch.
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami